cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox live help for dummies

N/A

Hi

I'm not much of a techie. Could someone tell me if I can use xbox live with plusnet and a standard plusnet suplied modem. If not whats the simplest and cheapest way of using xbox live with plusnet?

Thanks very much
11 REPLIES
Delves
Grafter

RE: xbox live help for dummies

Hi chris, if you have a search through the forum you'll find lots of questions on connecting XBL, that may help you, if not tell us a bit more about your system and I'm sure we can help.

What modem have you, is it USB.
Does your PC have a network card.
What operating system are you using.
Any firewalls setup, if so which.

It sounds a lot of questions in reply but with the relevent info it shouldn't be a problem to get it going.

Regards Dave

> Hi
>
> I'm not much of a techie. Could someone tell me if I can use xbox live with plusnet and a standard plusnet suplied modem. If not whats the simplest and cheapest way of using xbox live with plusnet?
>
> Thanks very much

N/A

I have a USB modem
Don't have a network card yet (what kind do I need and what connecting cable do I need)
I'm using windows XP
I use zone alarm as a firewall

Thanks very much

> Hi chris, if you have a search through the forum you'll find lots of questions on connecting XBL, that may help you, if not tell us a bit more about your system and I'm sure we can help.
>
> What modem have you, is it USB.
> Does your PC have a network card.
> What operating system are you using.
> Any firewalls setup, if so which.
>
> It sounds a lot of questions in reply but with the relevent info it shouldn't be a problem to get it going.
>
> Regards Dave
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm not much of a techie. Could someone tell me if I can use xbox live with plusnet and a standard plusnet suplied modem. If not whats the simplest and cheapest way of using xbox live with plusnet?
> >
> > Thanks very much
>
>

N/A

Hi i have a fast ethernet out port on my pc and i plan on using the windows ics connection 4 xbox live as usb modems dont have ethernet ports on would this be ok
Delves
Grafter

Ok then you will need to buy an internal network card for your PC, less than £20, a cross over network cable, it will be advertised as ethernet or cat5 and then you can start to connect things together.

First off you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing on the Dial up connection in Network Connections. Its a wizard so don't worry to much, but to be on the safe side create a restore point for XP, so you can revert back should you have any problems.

ZoneAlarm may be a problem as you need the PRO version this supports ICS and allows you to open the ports required for XBL
• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074
the freebe ZA wont do this.

Have a look at the following pages for more info.
And lets us know how you get on.

http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/start/connect/sharedpc/default.htm

http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/start/connect/sharedpc/troubleshooting.htm

> I have a USB modem
> Don't have a network card yet (what kind do I need and what connecting cable do I need)
> I'm using windows XP
> I use zone alarm as a firewall
>
> Thanks very much
>
> > Hi chris, if you have a search through the forum you'll find lots of questions on connecting XBL, that may help you, if not tell us a bit more about your system and I'm sure we can help.
> >
> > What modem have you, is it USB.
> > Does your PC have a network card.
> > What operating system are you using.
> > Any firewalls setup, if so which.
> >
> > It sounds a lot of questions in reply but with the relevent info it shouldn't be a problem to get it going.
> >
> > Regards Dave
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm not much of a techie. Could someone tell me if I can use xbox live with plusnet and a standard plusnet suplied modem. If not whats the simplest and cheapest way of using xbox live with plusnet?
> > >
> > > Thanks very much
> >
> >
>
>

N/A

> I may just buy zonealarm pro since it's not too expensive.....would you recommend uninstalling the current version first...connecting up the xbox and then putting zone alarm pro on?

also...at what point do i create a 'create a restore point for XP' ?

Thanks very much for your help...i really appreciate it
Delves
Grafter

Create a restore point just before you setpu the ICS, Its been known to throw up the odd problem from time to time but it works most of the time.

To create the restore just use the wizard in the system tools menu off accessories.

Sorry if you already know this.....

> > I may just buy zonealarm pro since it's not too expensive.....would you recommend uninstalling the current version first...connecting up the xbox and then putting zone alarm pro on?
>
> also...at what point do i create a 'create a restore point for XP' ?
>
> Thanks very much for your help...i really appreciate it

N/A

woohoo

it's all working....only slight catch is i have to disable zone alarm....i tried using zone alarm pro and opening the ports you mentioned....doesn't seem to work though

any other ideas?

> Create a restore point just before you setpu the ICS, Its been known to throw up the odd problem from time to time but it works most of the time.
>
> To create the restore just use the wizard in the system tools menu off accessories.
>
> Sorry if you already know this.....
>
>
> > > I may just buy zonealarm pro since it's not too expensive.....would you recommend uninstalling the current version first...connecting up the xbox and then putting zone alarm pro on?
> >
> > also...at what point do i create a 'create a restore point for XP' ?
> >
> > Thanks very much for your help...i really appreciate it
>
>

jberry
Grafter

> any other ideas?

If you are having problems with zone alarm I would try using a different firewall - there are plenty of free ones available.

Try searching for firewall on www.download.com and see what you get.

Regards
Josh
PlusNet Customer Support
Delves
Grafter

Not sure why ZA Pro dont work, I setup the port from the firewall->Internet Zone->Custom then on the Internet zone Tab enterd the port numbers.

> woohoo
>
> it's all working....only slight catch is i have to disable zone alarm....i tried using zone alarm pro and opening the ports you mentioned....doesn't seem to work though
>
> any other ideas?
>
> > Create a restore point just before you setpu the ICS, Its been known to throw up the odd problem from time to time but it works most of the time.
> >
> > To create the restore just use the wizard in the system tools menu off accessories.
> >
> > Sorry if you already know this.....
> >
> >
> > > > I may just buy zonealarm pro since it's not too expensive.....would you recommend uninstalling the current version first...connecting up the xbox and then putting zone alarm pro on?
> > >
> > > also...at what point do i create a 'create a restore point for XP' ?
> > >
> > > Thanks very much for your help...i really appreciate it
> >
> >
>
>

N/A

please could you let me know how to set up xbox live using a usb modem, i keep getting a message saying xbox live not found. I need really basic help.

> woohoo
>
> it's all working....only slight catch is i have to disable zone alarm....i tried using zone alarm pro and opening the ports you mentioned....doesn't seem to work though
>
> any other ideas?
>
> > Create a restore point just before you setpu the ICS, Its been known to throw up the odd problem from time to time but it works most of the time.
> >
> > To create the restore just use the wizard in the system tools menu off accessories.
> >
> > Sorry if you already know this.....
> >
> >
> > > > I may just buy zonealarm pro since it's not too expensive.....would you recommend uninstalling the current version first...connecting up the xbox and then putting zone alarm pro on?
> > >
> > > also...at what point do i create a 'create a restore point for XP' ?
> > >
> > > Thanks very much for your help...i really appreciate it
> >
> >
>
>

N/A

I am currently having the same problem. I have tried everywhere to solve this "IP not confirmed" error and since plusnet havn't exactly givin us much support on this issue I am pretty much buggered.