cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox live dns problem

obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

i realise that there are other posts in this form about xbox live problems, but i didnt want to hijack there posts or anything so anyway

when trying to connect to xbox live i get

the dns servers could not be reached, check these possible problems.
1. if the xbox is connected directly to your modem, verify the dns server settings match the settings provided by your osp
2. if the xbox is connected to a router, verifty dns servers are set to automatic

my connection is phone line >>>> modem/router >>>> xbox

and ive a pc down the stairs.. with a different modem and its set up fine but i didnt want about 30m of cable running from my room..

so any ideas would be very much helpfull

thanks in advance. Cry
14 REPLIES
N/A

xbox live dns problem

Enter the DNS server manually, give 212.159.13.49 a try
N/A

xbox live dns problem

You say that you also have a PC running with a separate modem. You should note that only one ADSL device can be used on the line at a time. So the modem attached to your PC cannot be connected at the same time as the modem connected to your XBox.
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

yeh i tried the number you gave me, no luck though it still comes up with the same message, do i have to put anything into the 'alternate' dns server? and i didnt even have my pc on when trying to connect, i even took out the modem cables etc, but still no luck Sad
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

i actually found an old print out from when i 1st joined plusnet.. i tried the following

Primary DNS Server: 212.159.11.150
Secondary DNS Server: 212.159.13.150

although.. this was printed on 4/6/2003 lol.. so i dunno
N/A

xbox live dns problem

Those are two DNS servers which were decomissioned a few months ago. The currently active DNS servers are:

Those should definitley work if you set them - they are what other customers are using Smiley
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

thanks hopefully now it should work, by the way do i have to set these in any order? of teh primary and secondary dns i mean

*edit* can any one explain what a dns is?

**edit** well ive tried all those numbers.. but still the same message comes up :|
Community Veteran

xbox live dns problem

DNS - domain name service. It's a way to convert a domain name to an IP address. All websites are accesed using an IP address so there needs to be a way to convert say www.bbc.co.uk into the IP address of the server that hosts that website. DNS servers do just that, they have a big table indicating the IP address of a lot of domain names. A broswer would send the domain name it is looking for to the DNS server and it would return an IP address for it which the broswer then uses to connect to that webserver to get the web pages.

It's the same as if you wanted a phone number for someone. You ring up directory enquiries, say the name and address you have and they give you the phone number for them. DNS lookups work the same way.

You can use the 4 DNS IP addresses given in any order.

No idea about xbox so can't help further with your problem.
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

ok thanks for the info but still no xbox live :{

*edit* should i have a username/password in the PPPOE settings? if so whats the service name and the same goes for the IP address/subnet mask/gateway
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

well ive been trying since xmas and still no luck, ive tried all the dns server numbers posted {is everyone 100% sure they are right?} ive even put my user name and password into the pppoe settings but it still comes up with the same message what else can i be doing wrong?
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

well i dont know why it isnt working so ive decided to buy a new router lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5741521986&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

that one actually and im just gonna put up with the cables

anyone used this router before? easy to configure?
jberry
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

Yep .. I have set one of these up before (not for XBox but just to work) and it is one of the simplest routers to configure you are likely to find.

Regards,
obitus
Grafter

xbox live dns problem

just bought the above item, but do i have to sign up with bt/yahoo to be able to install the driver?

**edit**

Well since ive been trying to connect to xbox live since christmas.. ive now come to the conclusion that it is not possible. Ive tryed two different routers one being BTvoyager 205 and still i cant get connected, keep getting the above problem. although if someone with a bit more expereince with this modem or has had the same problems, if they could list what i should do id be greatly in their debt.
N/A

xbox live dns problem

I have the same problem
any ideas?
N/A

xbox live dns problem

ok guys if you are still suffering then you can find your dns server details by goiong into the plusnet website, go into my account then connection settings then into connection details. there you will find your 3 dns servers.