cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox live IP nightmare

hotchilidamo

xbox live IP nightmare

Oh my god what an Link:censored it is to connect my shiny new XBOX 360 to Xbox Live.

Here's the problem I now have - I keep getting IP failure when testing my Xbox live connection and now my dial up is telling me that I can't get an IP from the server. I've been reading various web articles and forums on setting up an ICS connection from my xbox with the lead that come in the box to my on board network card. I've tried entering a physical IP into the xbox, I've tried entering my MAC address, I've tried loads of stuff and I can get a LAN connection but my xbox can see the computer and my computer can see the Xbox but I can't ping it or connect to xbox live.

I've got zone alarm and I've got the IP on the xbox in a trusted zone.

I really don't know what to do now - I've tried rolling back to before I played around and I still can't connect via my dialup (usb modem by the way) and I can't get the xbox working.

I've seen a lot of talk about wireless adapters and routers but really have no idea what I would need to get this sorted. Can someone please help me, I've read everything on the xbox support sites.

Frustrated from Bournemouth

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Swear filter avoidance removed.
5 REPLIES
aeroalfie
Grafter

xbox live IP nightmare

I hard wired my xbox360 to PC to share internet connection, i also use Zone Alarm (free edition) up until a couple of days ago when i updated my XP PC to service pack 2 - Even though all ZA and as far as i can tell PC settings are the same my 360 connection no longer works.

Currently what im doing until i find out the problem / get another fire wall is using the windows built in fire wall (which i previously had turned off) for gaming and turning ZA back on when i finished.

Not sure if you can use XBL with dial up, you certainly wont be able to use it for online gaming, but you could try:
In network connection make sure you got your USB connection shared also try running the Network setup wizard.
Try turning off ZA and connecting / turning on windows firewall and connection.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

xbox live IP nightmare

ICS is not recommended for gaming as it is only really used for low levels of web browsing. I do not have an xbox360 but use my PC for gaming via a netgear router and get a stable fast connection for all the games I play. I have tried ICS but it was in my experience slow and unreliable.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

xbox live IP nightmare

I had issues with this too. In the end I complete tore the network up and started from scratch including issuing each component on the network with a static IP.
hotchilidamo

xbox live IP nightmare

In the end I gave up with ICS and bought myself a Netgear router and all works like a dream now
Delves
Grafter

xbox live IP nightmare

The lead supplied in the 360 is a straight through cable, it is designed for connection through a network switch or.

You will need a cross-over cable to connect directly from you PC's network card to the 360. You'll make no progress with ICS until you get the correct cable.

You have taken the best option though and I'm pleased its up and running

David