cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox 360 set up with plus net

N/A

I am trying to set up a direct connection i.e. modem and ethernet cable to xbox (no computer involved).

According to the website you simply connect everything and it should work. It does not!

Do I have to enter my username and password on the edit page?

Also I have a static IP address. Do I need to enter any settings for IP address or DNS or can I use the automatic functions?

I have being trying variations for hours with no luck.

Help

Cheers

Darren
13 REPLIES
N/A

I have now got as far as configuring my modem via my pc. I have entered my username and password into the modem settings (I assume therefore that I do not need to enter any log on details via the xbox edit page). The modem works fine on the computer. When I then transferred my modem direct to the xbox I still get problems.

When I try and connect the xbox to the net I get DNS failure.

My modem settings have come up as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.3
GW: 192.168.1.1
SN: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

I have tried setting the DNS manually at 192.168.1.1 and somebody else suggested 212.59.6.9+6.10 but these dont work either.

This is driving me crazy

Help
N/A

Hi spoon,

Unless it was just a typo your DNS should have been

N/A

I will double check the DNS numbers tonight thanks
N/A

Just tried with the new dns settings and it still does not work!
N/A

Just tried with the new dns settings and it still does not work!

I tried for weeks on end to get direct connection working and it got to the stage where i was getting so angry i was going to throw the modem out of the window.

I eventually gave on direct connection, i don't think it works at all never mind with Plusnet.

I bought a Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router and the official wireless bridge and plugged it all in and i had Xbox live up and running within 15m. It's more expensive doing it this way but it saves a lot of frustration.
N/A

Are you using the same piece of ethernet cable to connect both your PC and Xbox to the modem?

If not, it might be worth checking the ethernet cables to see if you have one patch cable and one crossover cable.

HTH.

John.
N/A

Hi

I am using the ethernet cable that came with the xbox. I am not connecting via a pc.

Think I might have to give up and try buying a 3rd modem.

Plusnet support refuse to help.
Xbox support say there is no more they can do.
Modem support say modem is correctly configured.
Ajtame
Grafter

Sadly this isnt something we generally test, I think i'm currently the only staff member with a 360 and I just use an ethernet router which works fine. Though I imagine it would just be an issue with the way the system is attempting to make the connection, as far as were concerned it doesnt make much difference if your using a pc a mac or whatever to actually make the connection its just how it does it. I personally wouldnt be supprised if it just doesnt work, put it down to new technology and all, if microsoft support cant help you I would say you may be doomed to buying a router. :?
N/A

Bought a Xbox360 yesterday,
I currently use my PC and my Wife's laptop on the wireless router/switch, and plugged the Xbox into a spare switch socket on the router using the cable that came with the Xbox
Connected straight away (took about 5 mins for the Xbox to confirm all settings and get an IP from my Router)
Regards,
Chris
N/A

Surely if you are using a modem rather than a router, you need to have the modem installed, and you enter the login details into a program on the client PC rather than directly into the modem as you would with a router.

Put another way;
Did you need to use a CD to install your modem on your PC? If so, I suspect it won't work with a console, because drivers etc are designed of Mac/Windows rather than console OS's.

I imagine a console needs to have a connection to a router which supports its own connection and password storage, and provides ethernet connections internet ready. (The Netgear DG834 is a great example of this type of kit - DG834G if you want wireless up to 54Mbps, DG834GT for 108Mbps wireless. Prices ranging from £40 - £100)

The bit about DNS servers above is a red herring - the settings reported by the 360 look correct, they refer to the settings for your own network, rather than internet DNS, which another poster reffered to.
N/A

a few suggestions, is the modem set to UPnp, if thats off then its likely that the NAT is too 'strict' for the connection on live... otherwise need to ensure UDP Port 88 is opened along with TCP & UDP 3074 port... seemed to do the trick for me...also setup a bit of port forwarding on these so that my modem router would forward traffic to the 360...

The 360 has an autosensing MDix ethernet port (or something like that), so can take a std or crossover cable no problem..

alternatively what stage of the network troubleshooting do you get to with the xbxoHuh

Hope this helps, Stuart
N/A

I just took my router from my PC (BT Voyager), plugged it into my Xbox, and it worked fine !!

I bought a new router (so I didn't have to swap all the time), connected it to my PC, entered my connection details (user & password), then plugged it into my Xobox & it's been great ever since !

The only problem I had was this....

I can't have both routers plugged into the phone socket at the same time (even if one wasn't even turned on) - it won't allow the otehr one to connect (I don't know why) !!
N/A

Its because an ADSL router has to Sync with the kit at the exchange. Its a point to point connection, which will only support one bit of kit at each end.

A router usually has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it, so you can use the connection on more than one machine at a time. So you should be able to use one router, and plug both your Xbox and your PC in at the same time to share the connection.

Obviously if one is upstairs and one downstairs, you would need to run an ethernet cable, or use wireless.