cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop the god damn port throttling

N/A

it's the shittest decisions you've ever made, it's made it impossible for me to playu my favourite game anytime before midnight since the ping is in the region of 400 - 800. sort it out, i'm sure i'm not the only one annoyed.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Ping times and traffic management are two completely different things and pings should not be affected by the traffic limits being imposed.

Have you checked where the high ping times are actually occuring - it's possibe it may not be within PNs network. Try running a tracert command to your game server and post the results.

Also some PN gateways can get congested at times so try disconnecting and reconnecting to see if the ping times improve.

WinMTR is another useful tool to show where ping times are affected.
N/A

i've done tracerts to the IP, and it's all normal but i can't seem to do it to an IP with a certain port, is it possible?

i've had reverse traces done from one of the server admins and the high ping occurs between me and the ISP.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

what ip address are you pinging and trace routing so I can give it a go. That way we can see if the problem is only experienced by you or a more general issue.

Thanks
N/A

port 45000 is fine,44400 isn't.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

I know now is not the best time of day to test but I pinged the server and responses were in the mid to late 20ms.

Pinging 85.12.13.144 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.12.13.144: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=58
Reply from 85.12.13.144: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=58
Reply from 85.12.13.144: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
Reply from 85.12.13.144: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 85.12.13.144:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 27ms

So it seems OK at the moment. Try pinging it yourself tonight after about 19:00 when alot of people tend to be using the internet.

Thanks.
N/A

I know it's fine with just an IP, but when in game having to go through the UDP port it sky rockets, i'm sure i stated this in my original thread or one o fthe replys.

/sigh
N/A

Ping Command

Guys, please also be aware that a ping only sends 32 bytes of data. Games send much larger packets and you will see how the pings already increase from the additional packets required for the data.
For those wanting to know, you can simulate larger packets with ping:
ping [servername] -l [number of bytes]

I can definitely agree with the person who already suggested to disconnect and reconnect and hopefully connect to a faster gateway machine.
To test this run
tracert www.plus.net -h 2
If you are connected directly with a modem the first delay is the delay from you to the gateway - if you connect with a router the second delay is the time to the gateway.

In my experience, the normal delay to the gateway without DSLmax is 13-19ms and about 22-29ms if you are on DSLmax (no interleaving). Yours may vary but that is just my experience.