cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ps2 online with usb modem

N/A

i've got a PC (but no network card), a USB modem (Binatone ADSL500), and a PS2 with NA. I want to get a USB router so i can connect my USB modem as an input, and then have a USB output for my PC and an ethernet output to connect the PS2. Is this possible, or do i have to get a combined Modem/Router?

Either way can people suggest USB routers or Modem/routers that would work in this set up.

Thanks Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is possible to get a modem/router with a lan and USB connection the ASR8100 is one such (it's called a 1 port router but does have USB and lan connections which can be used at the same time) but it does limit you if you wanted to add another PC or games console at a later date and still uses USB which may not always work. There are a few other 1 port routers that have the same (USB + LAN).

My recomendation is buy a PCI network card (5->10 quid) and a 4 port adsl modem/router/switch. This will be a bit more expensive but does get you away from the unreliable USB connection. There are lots of threads around (have a look at a few, some even ask for router recomendations) but a cheap one is the ASR8400 or something more expensive which I would recomend is the netgear DG834 which also has a proper hardware firewall.

You'll get a few more alternatives in preceding posts.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks Peter, is the USB connection unreliable then? I just want to avoid paying for a combined modem/router when i've already got a modem

and how important is a firewall?

thanks
Community Veteran

Just look at all the disconnecting related threads.

USB can be unreliable for some motherboard chipsets and for other reasons. It is the USB powered devices like the Binatone that have the problem. Some USB ports cannot deliver enough current for the device. Sometimes the USB device draws more current (500mA) that the USB port can supply so gives up. There is also the issue of the USB support and USB drivers in WIndows. These can also be flakey on some systems and may fail due to conflics with other drivers in the system.

Because the USB powered devices tend to be the lower end of the market, development resources for the driver and testing in different setups tend to be less so reliability is compromised.

An external router that has a lan port will have it's own power supply so will not rely on the power from the USB port so should be much more reliable. However there is still the problem with driver compatibility, especially on older windows versions like Win98.

Firewalls are very important as is the type of firewall - especially now with the 'always on' connections that ADSL has. Port scanning and virii/trojans are everywhere. Many cheaper USB modems don't have a firewall included or use NAT (network addres translation) which will block incoming connection attempts but not outgoing. The more expensive routers like the DG834 have a proper configurable firewall that will block incoming and outgoing connection attempts.

I always play safe and run a software firewall on all my PCs. I use ZoneAlarm which has a free and payfor pro version (I use the pro version). This will block any incoming and outgoing connection attempts so if I were infected by a virus or trojan, it would have difficulty contacting outside systems.

So for security you should have as a minumum:

Software firewall: i.e. ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security (NIS) there are several web based scanners as well.
Virus scanner: loads around Norton Antivirus, AVG etc
Trojan scanner: Again loads around BOClean is a good one but not free
Spyware scanner: Spybot search & destroy, Adaware (both have free and payfor versions)

There are free versions of all these around but also many payfo ones.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

ASUS SL6000

Hi there,
I had trouble with USB Modemand also did not really trust it etc. I prefer a hardware router/modem and chose the ASUS SL 6000. I had a little trouble to get my console working with it at first. I then realised I was making things too complicated for myself.

This router/modem allows me to create to firewall rules;
1 rule will drop the firewall to enable all traffice through to the games station.
2 rule will keep the firewall up to protect my network.

It is a little pricey this router but is cracking once up and running.

I have used Shields UP to test the firewall from the outside world and it givesgood results.

Hope this may be of use.

paul