cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ping high + internal ip and external ip problem

N/A

im having trouble making my own host in the game TRON 2.0 MP. the reason i think its because my internal ip 192.168.7.2 is different to the external ip 212.159.87.1654
and because of this i believe my ping is high.

the firewall on windows xp and firewall on the adsl router config through http://192.168.7.1 are disabled so i know they are not the cause.

Gamespy's help menu say's that online games have to have a direct access to computer to be successfull.

i recently had help from plus.net saying

"Dear customer - from what you are saying - it would seem that the software is telling you that you need a public ip (ie an ip block) in order to assign this to the server machine. "

so can u tell me how to do this public ip

thank u
7 REPLIES
N/A

This may not be the case, and will depend on what connection equipment you are using.

If using a router, you will need to place a forwarding rule in the routers config, to point the port (or ports) the game requires at your internal machines IP.

As for USB and PCI, you will need to make sure that your Firewall software is not blocking the ports needed for your game.

You should consult the many games admins sites about, for details on ports, and possibly forums where other have shown examples of what needs doing.
N/A

i am using adsl router

the thing is im still new at configuring

so would u be able to tell me how to do that, or give me a site that shows how
Community Veteran

The router's manual or manufactuer's website will tell you how to setup port forwarding, it is usually quite straight forward depending on the model.

Chris
N/A

my model is sar110

but il c if i can

thanx
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Best learn how to configure your router and the game server itself, before you plan on hosting any games.

You will need to know:
1. What ports need to be forwarded and there type TCP / UDP, then How to forward those on your router.

2. Game server tweaking to limit connection speeds, so each player connecting doesnt use more bandwidth than they need.

3. the limit for each game for your connection, the upload speed is the limit for most games, plus the Power of your server CPU/Ram more the better. Ideally any server needs to be run under linux for stability.

So you have some homework
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

also get rid of xp firewall it causes a lot of problems as u are unable to configure it use a firewall such as sygate or zone alarm never ever use xp firewall it should never have been built into the software Smiley
N/A

erm....xp's firewall can be configured quit easy and i have tested xp's firewall against sygate's firewall and it blocks just aswell if not better and it causes less probs then zonealarm or sygate's firewall