Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new gamer requires help please

zambezi
Dabbler

hi all
i have just joined asdl on plusnet very pleased,but now have started to play
wolfenstein enemy terrority everything is ok but then when im playing and dying !!! the screen goes jerky and i cant controll my direction, then after a while all seems ok again.
Is it me? as i would like to get my own back and actually try to kill someone Smiley
any answers gratefully recieved but please remeber im a beginner at this
thanks a lot
10 REPLIES
N/A

How high or low specification is your computer? That sounds like the cause to me.
zambezi
Dabbler

thanks for reply,
ive got an intel pentium 4 2.5ghz,512mb fast ddr ram, bought last year, hopefully its up to it
ive have zonealrm installed could it be this interupting anything or a program running in the background ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

1. what ping does the server have that you are joining[Low = good / High = bad]
2. do you have downloads/ have ICQ / MSN running while playing online, if so close them
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Hmm..your spec is fine Smiley

If you have something like kazaa in the background that would slow it down, but with your spec, you shouldn't notice it that much.
zambezi
Dabbler

im mostly going onto the game server through plusnet it pings at around 35-40
does it matter at how many people are playing on the server?
how about my antivirus scanning in the background ?
good 2 know my computer is upto the job thanks Cheesy
N/A

When you say "scanning" do you just mean it's on sort of idle alert. Or do you mean it's scanning the hard drive?
zambezi
Dabbler

nope, not scanning hard drive just online protection they call it,just checked settings says it checks a file when run or accessed could this be it?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well if your PC runs the game Smoothly in single player then it should handle online well enough, but you might have to drop some of the eye candy for online.

Shadows
Skin Detail
EAX audio

Those are the most crippling online settings to change.

Other thing you might have running is a memory cleaner, there bad for games as they need all they can get. So if you have anything else running that's not needing while gaming then disable it while playing. But not your firewall, you only do that to find out if it's your firewall causing problems then you fix the settings problem or find a better firewall.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
zambezi
Dabbler

thanks very much for your help will try all that you have offered
once again cheers,
hope to find you on a server someday !!!!!
cheers
N/A

Microsoft Findfast is great for stuffing games too! just the symptoms described here, stuttering game with loads of hard disk activity.

Office 97 is guilty of putting this in the startup group and what it does is index your hard drive when MS Office programs are not running.

I'm not sure about later versions of Office, I routinely delete all MS gunk in my startup group now so can't remember if it put it there in the first place. Shockedops:

Ah well, hope this helps someone.

Tim