cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nasty pings in counterstrike source

N/A

Lo all

had some nasty old lag in cs:s earlier. It's been ages since I played anything but world of warcraft online where ping isn't that important. I've seen lots of threads on the forums - is a ping of 250 normal these days?

I was playing a game of Company of heroes the other day over Hamachi and I was having massive lag spikes on that too.

Is this it? I'm considering asking for my mac in January tbh

S.
9 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Set Hamachi to port 10000 to so the Plus.net Traffic Management system recognises it as VPN traffic.

Pings are higher then say a year ago. Playing CS:S though I've not seen anything above 60-70ms at the most on UK servers.
N/A

Thanks for the tip Firejack

I'll try playing a game via hamachi tonight and see how we get on.

I ran a game using relic's gamefinder and over the web with no hamachi running and only ventrilo on and I was still getting lag. I'm wondering whether Company of Heroes has been added to the ellacoya lists.

This still doesn't explain my nasty cs:s lag either - I will run some tests tonight and see if I am still having issues with ping/latency around 8-9pm at night.

I don't run anything on my pc other than games/irc/ventrilo and normally I don't notice lag as an issue at all - it's just very recently I've had some serious spikes in CoH and CS:S

S.
N/A

On my 512kbps connection back home, I consistently get pings for UK CSS servers between 20 and 30ms (at any time of day). Here, on an 8meg connection, I more often get 50-70 (sometimes more if I'm unlucky). I haven't turned off interlacing in my PN control panel though - any ideas how much this decreases ping times?
It's difficult to tell just how important latency is in CSS though because CSS itself has some moments of very dodgy hit detection (bad coding probably).
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

just to check are you playing on UK servers ?

If not then that could be your problem.

I have not played CS for a while but seem to remember the console commands cl_updaterate, clmdrate and rate were helpfull in giving a stable ping. Do any current players have anything to add on this ?
N/A

cmdrate and updaterate should only effect stable pings on dial up. On a normal adsl connection cmdrate and updaterate 100 should be fine and indeed were up until a couple of nights ago.

It could just have been a dodgy route I guess, I'll test again tonight. The server is definitely UK based.

S
N/A

I haven't turned off interlacing in my PN control panel though - any ideas how much this decreases ping times?

From my observations, having interleaving on adds 10-20ms to your ping.
N/A

I'm having pings spiking over 500ms all day on servers with uncommon port numbers such as 28015 and 28020 (Including my clan match server!). Pings are fine to UK servers on port 27015 (20-40ms). I have opened a ticket (20881259) bringing this to attention, but nothing seems to be doing Sad

If you guys are having insane pings to some servers, try checking their port number.
N/A

btw if anyone is playing games over hamachi so they can play lan games vs people - changing the port to 10000 on hamachi does the trick.

No lag at all playing coh thru hamachi Smiley

S.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

I haven't turned off interlacing in my PN control panel though - any ideas how much this decreases ping times?

From my observations, having interleaving on adds 10-20ms to your ping.

How do you turn interleaving off, and what effect does this have on other servicesHuh