cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux servers

N/A

linux servers

whats wrong with windows servers, then we could have delta force land warrior and the new df dagger coming out next month. surely with just linux you cut your options in half or maybe more. GO ON, SPEND A LITTLE. MR GATES NEEDS THE DOSH.
4 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

RE: linux servers

> whats wrong with windows servers, then we could have delta force land warrior and the new df dagger coming out next month. surely with just linux you cut your options in half or maybe more. GO ON, SPEND A LITTLE. MR GATES NEEDS THE DOSH.

Hi Kim,

The main problems with Windows Servers are not with the cost of the software, but with the server efficiency and security issues.

The efficiency question can be best demonstrated by talking of memory usage. A fresh install of linux, set up correctly, with a server running (this is with no users on the server) will use about 20M of memory. A windows machine with nothing running will use about 80M. This problem is compounded by the lack of SSH access and it basically means that an equivelent server has toi be about twice as powerful.

The security issue is basically that because windows is only updated in service packs rather than on a daily basis it is much more vunerable to being hacked - and as the servers are internal to our network they need to be secure.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical and Customer Support.........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

What a intelegent answer, even i can not argue with that. you should be a politician (i would vote 4 u.) thx 4 the straight forward reply. i agree with you.

Firejack
Grafter

Tell you what Josh. Since you can't provide us with a Windows Server on the PlusNet network. Why don't PlusNet buy me a bring new wonder-computer.... Then I'll happily setup a Windows games server with my old computer, running on my home network and PlusNet DSL connection for all PlusNet-ers to use ;-)

*LOL*

Later,

Andrew.

PS It was worth a try Smiley
Firejack
Grafter

>.......... Why don't PlusNet buy me a BRAND new wonder-computer....

Typo alert! Oops.... think that makes sense now he he. I better go get some sleep.

Night all,

Andrew.