cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lagg

madmalc
Grafter

lagg

i recently installed quake 3 arena for the first time in about a year but could not believe the amount of lagg i experienced, just starting to wonder if those IT techs at plusnet know what they are doing. i feel sorry for them they are trying but don't seem to be getting it right. i have hung in long enough but i feel it may be time to move on but not sure what isp to go with, i might pay for a slightly higher service at bt or stay with plusnet but opt for a higher service, all i know is something has got to change, its ruining my credability with the game.
17 REPLIES
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

lagg

Do you mean network lag or poor FPS in game ?

Do you get this in other games of the same type / age or newer ?

Due to the way Plusnet control network traffic usage you may need to log a call so they can set the quake 3 traffic to high priority.
madmalc
Grafter

Quake 3 Arena

Not tried in other games as of yet i may try castle wolfenstein soon,

I get framerates of around 90-100fps and when i get a disconnect it still shows between 90-100fps. Quake pauses for about 10 secs then kicks in again then i might get about 5 mins of game play(max)then it laggs again. Then i die!!

So your saying that pn can give me more bandwidth just for quake?
If so that would be good!
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

lagg

Kind of, you just need to log a call to confirm they give quake3 gaming traffic the same high priority that BF2,BF2142 etc get. You FPS is good so you may find that is your problem.
N/A

lagg

would this be the same prob im having with socom 3 on the ps2.im laging badly early on in the evening.at around 10 at night it starts to get better.
N/A

lagg

@ding2005
Yup, this is more than likely the problem if your only experiencing the issues during peak hours.
You need to find out what ports the game uses and raise a ticket.
Unfortunately i have been told by CS that no more port profiles will be added until the next Ellacoya update. They didn't say when this would be.
Annoying as hell isn't it?
N/A

lagg

thanxs for that m8.so how do i find out about the port thing.
N/A

lagg

I had a dig around for you and came up with these..
Socom 3
UDP Ports: 6000 to 7000, 10070, 50000
TCP Ports: 10070 to 10080, 80

Stick em in a ticket and add them to the port request thread.
N/A

lagg

hey thanz n8.plusnet want me to do a traceroute to socom3 IP,but i cant find socom3 IP address any where.ive looked whilste logged in to the game and it doesnt say or give that option to find IP address.they wanted me to send the results of the test back to them,i seem to of hit a brick wall.
N/A

lagg

If the server lists dont show an actual ip address then im not sure how they expect you to run a traceroute.

Honestly, all you can do is give them the port numbers and wait to see if they will do anything about it.
Your problem is definitely with the Ellacoya profiles if its only affecting you during peak hours.
Welcome to the world of gaming with PlusNet. Bloody ridiculous.
N/A

lagg

ok m8.many thanx for your help.seems to me they want me to fix it for them.ive had a day of work and spent a good bit of it scanning forums on the subject.and no one seems to of had a problem with there ports.so so hope this is sorted soon or ill have to move on.
again thanx m8
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

lagg

I know what you mean but it is easier and quicker if gamers get Plusnet the info for the game.

There are alot of games out there and if you give them the info they should get it working for you rather than just trying their best.

It is unlikely they will have a copy of the game on which to test and regular player of the game can advise Plusnet and let Plusnet know quickly if it is sorted out.
N/A

lagg

I know what you mean but it is easier and quicker if gamers get Plusnet the info for the game.

It is currently easier and quicker to move to an ISP that doesn't make you wait for weeks, even when given all the necessary information, to play something you've paid hard earned cash for.

Dont try and defend PN position on this issue. It's indefensible.
No other ISP makes you go through this just to play a game.
N/A

lagg

Right.Phoned plusnet support.They have checked ports and all are open and ok.They told me that it could be an upload problem.Advised me to go for the free upgrade to 8mb.This would give me a greater upload speed.mmmmmmmmm.Have been warned not to go for this option on the past bye a freand who has had nothing but problems.They also said that at peek times traffic is greater so this faster upload should help to solve the problem.Why is it the some of my gaming buddys on socom 3 have only half a meg and have no problems what so ever.This seems like im being taken around the houses.
Not shore what to do.
N/A

lagg

I can only speak for myself here, but i have just downgraded from up to 8meg back to a fixed 2meg service, due to instability problems and a very poor gaming experience. As such my upload speed has been cut from 448 to 288.
Gaming (with the games i can play) is now very good indeed...lag has gone completely, the whole experience is a lot better than on MaxDSL.
So i think they are just spinning you a line about the upload speed.