cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just a quick question about the DNS thing

N/A

i play world of warcraft every now and then but in the past few days i have been unable to because i get disconnected after about 60 seconds,

anyone else having this problem

just wanna know is it the DNS thing or my own personal problem that i need to fix ?

other games seem ok but maybe their connections arn't as sensitive
5 REPLIES
rodt99
Dabbler

I am not getting disconnected, but my pings in WOW are over 1000 when i normally get sub 30. Needless to say it almost makes it unplayable.

This started last weekend and continued over all this weekend.
N/A

I'm being disconnected from RF Online after about 30 seconds too so it seems to be more widespread than WoW, I also read a ping of 12,000 (yes 12 thousand) on Ventrillo yesterday which is quite frankly rediculous in the extreme
rodt99
Dabbler

I raised a ticket on Sunday night and got a reply within a couple of hours asking for the port numbers and the address of my server I play on.

I googled the warcraft tech support info and replied. I haven't had a reply.

I have been playing during the day for the last 2 days and ping rates are fine (not great) until about 4 pm and then it keeps climbing.
N/A

hmm its as though WoW doesn't have access to enough of my bandwidth and then it disconnects me,

hmmmm

maybe this is the reason why Shocked/

Blizzard Entertainment is currently testing a Blizzard Downloader that is based upon BitTorrent, an open source technology which is freely distributable pursuant to the MIT License. Click here for more information. This test will help determine how we will proceed with future file distribution methods. Note that this utility is only active when you are downloading files, and that only files associated with the file that you are downloading are uploaded. Blizzard will not upload any other files, or obtain any personal information about you as a result of this activity.

i i don't pretend to know much about lusnet but i think they limit peer to peer , maybe this is causing WoW to crash, it downloads updates in the background while your playing , i disabled it and will see how it goes for now.
rodt99
Dabbler

The Blizzard Downloader is based on Bit Torrent or something similar but it only runs when the new patch/update has been released. Once you are into the game and playing it should not be running.

There was one patch a couple of months back that was large enough that they allowed 75% to download in the background over several weeks. When the release of the patch went live they allowed the final 25% to download and install.

But this is clouding the issue I think. I get good pings until 4 pm, then it increases wildly until about 1 am where it drops back to something reasonable again. The weekend is a total loss. These seem like peak hours to me and so PN must be lumping our traffic in the other non-prioritised traffic. So while it will get there in the end, it takes 30+ times longer.