cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idiots guide to 360 and xbox live - I need one

soddit
Dabbler

My kids are badgering the life out of me to get them Xbox live for the 360. The research I've done gives me a rough idea but i have one or two queries.

Can i connect to the net using a wireless modem/router and if so can anyone suggest a compatable one? (mrs says no cables running round the house)Am I looking for a Combined ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access Point or Combined ADSL Modem/Routers. I have no idea as to which I need! :?

Do I have to use an xbox 360 wifi unit or can i get away with a cheaper usb job?

Is there a definitive guide to setting up, not had much joy with wifi in the past.

appreciate any advice as depending on cost, I'll know when the nagging will stop Wink
2 REPLIES
N/A

Well i have a wireless modem router and have a ethernet cable from the back of that to the 360 as my 360 aint far away. Or using the same wireless router you can buy an adaptor for around 55.99 that goes in the 360 and then its wireless. Very simple to do
N/A

As you have kids I would suggest using the parental features when signing up to xbox live. The main thing to do here is to give your childs date of birth if they are over 13 but under 18, in that way you can control what features are enabled. This is especially important if you use a credit card, if you sign up using an adult date of birth, over 18, you will not have the facility to prevent the kids buying points from the xbox live market place with your credit card, or restricting what games types they can play. To use the parental features you will need two mailboxes, one for the kids account and one for the parental control. The other thing to do is to buy an original xbox live starter pack, so you don't need a credit card, its £40 but you get another head set, which works great with a 360 controller, whereas if you just sign up, its £40 and you just get the 12 months. When you signup, select the silver account, its free, and on some 360s it will automatically convert this to 1 months gold membership still free - worth about £4, you can then extend this to 12 months if your happy with the choice of gamertag using the code from the starter kit.