cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

graphic card

N/A

graphic card

got a creative fx 5600 256mb graphic card

will this keep up with my pc bundle that i am going to get playing games most of the time

amd 64 3200 venice oem
abit ul8
512 ram upgrading to 1 gb
agp x8

or use the 128mb pci card

amd athlon 64 fx 3000
gforce4 m/b
pci-e 128mb x600
10 REPLIES
N/A

graphic card

upgrade to at least a 6800GT tbh.
Azagoth
Grafter

graphic card

I personally don't rate the FX series of cards!

If you can, swap your motherboard out for a A8N-SLi (or similar) with PCi-e and get yourself at least a 6600GT card.

Getting a A8N-SLi motherboard and a PCI-e 6800 is cheaper than getting an AGP 6800! Plus, the A8N-SLi is perfect for your 'Venice' and at a later date you can drop in either an X2 or FX CPU with no hassle.
N/A

graphic card

Heh, I found out that my 64bit 3000 Newcastle is JUST not powerful enough to run the new Half Life 2:Lost Coast add-on. It won't boot up the bugger!
Not got round to overclocking my X800GTO2 yet will love to see what thats like when I do. Have Counterstrike running with everything up high and AF/AA at 2x. The stress test comes out with an FPS of 100 which is alright! Hoping the OCing will let me ramp those settings up further.

Wish I'd got the Socket 939, but I just didn't have enough cash at the time. Still, when the X2 comes down in price, I'll just grab me a new mobo. These guys aren't TOO hard to fit are they? I've only just recently got round to learning how to fiddle with the insides of my PC!
N/A

graphic card

rtparry

Def go 939 and pci-e. If more money becomes availible at a later date get yourself a 6800 GS, these are very well priced and compare to a 6800 GT.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 58

graphic card

I don't think its your processor
I am running an AMD 64 3000+ newcastle at 2300MHz, 1GB ram and a Radeon 9800 pro and it loads and runs without problems at 1024 x 768
Azagoth
Grafter

graphic card

Lost Coast is good, but it's too short. I know it's only a tech-demo but I'd have liked another 10 minutes or so. That said, it does looks stunning at 1900x1200 at full settings and with full SLi AA and Ansio enabled.

gemsi,

Dropping in a X2 on a 939 motherboard is easy as hell! Just make sure you use a decent thermal paste and don't over do it and you'll be fine. On one of mine I just dropped the new CPU in, applied the paste. heatsink and fan and fired it up. Fitting CPU's is becoming nearly as easy as plug and play.
N/A

graphic card

I had problems starting the Lost coast demo until I tried dropping my desktop resolution from 1280*1024 to 1024*768, then lost coast started with no problems at all, you may try doing that and see if it works for you.

My 3200 (socket 754) and 9700 Pro ran it ok at 1024*768 on high.
N/A

graphic card

I've got everything on halflife2 (and the various other source games) with the resolution on LCD 1280x1024. The only things not ramed up is 'wait for vertical sync' (and I have NO idea what this does anyway) and I have AA/AF on 2x. When I finally get round to OCing my card, I'll ramp those up to see what it can handle. According to the stats I read though, I should be only just off the pace when compared to the new wave of x1800 cards that have been issued! Sadly my 754 AMD is just 0.2ghz off the pace when it comes to the Lost Coast demo, so it won't even let me load it! If you're not up to the stats, it flags it up and says NO : ( Still, more than happy with Day Of Defeat at the moment! Although I heard off someone today that there is to be a CounterStrike 2 on the way. This true?

Oh, for the guy wanting a new graphics card? Have a check of this thread:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171914

The 2nd post in it gives about as detailed a run down of graphic cards (both AGP and PCI-e) as you need to know! And their merit in relation to each other. I ended up getting the Sapphire x800GTO2 based on this, only managed to find one place that sold it as well. Micro Direct, luckily enough that was in Manchester so P&P was a mild £1 (thanks to a bus ticket there and back Wink).

I can't get in the thread while I'm at work, but it does say to beware of one of the nVidia cards in PCI-e since its performance is shockingly WORSE than the AGP one.
N/A

graphic card

Lost Coast is good, but it's too short. I know it's only a tech-demo but I'd have liked another 10 minutes or so. That said, it does looks stunning at 1900x1200 at full settings and with full SLi AA and Ansio enabled.

gemsi,

Dropping in a X2 on a 939 motherboard is easy as hell! Just make sure you use a decent thermal paste and don't over do it and you'll be fine. On one of mine I just dropped the new CPU in, applied the paste. heatsink and fan and fired it up. Fitting CPU's is becoming nearly as easy as plug and play.

Oh its the actual fitting of the motherboard that I'm all tense about. And buying the right one of course. I went onto MicroDirect to sift through and was a tad shocked and the huge array of the boogers! This can all wait until next year now, I can't see any game pushing my machine so it can't run on high for the time being. Plus I've got far too much to play through for the time being!

I'd like to make it silent running though! Not sure of how to replace a PSU, but sticking a heatsink on a processor can't be too much of a hassle. Could do with one on the graphics card too.
N/A

graphic card

I've got everything on halflife2 (and the various other source games) with the resolution on LCD 1280x1024. The only things not ramed up is 'wait for vertical sync' (and I have NO idea what this does anyway) and I have AA/AF on 2x. When I finally get round to OCing my card, I'll ramp those up to see what it can handle. According to the stats I read though, I should be only just off the pace when compared to the new wave of x1800 cards that have been issued! Sadly my 754 AMD is just 0.2ghz off the pace when it comes to the Lost Coast demo, so it won't even let me load it! If you're not up to the stats, it flags it up and says NO : ( Still, more than happy with Day Of Defeat at the moment! Although I heard off someone today that there is to be a CounterStrike 2 on the way. This true?

As far as I was aware the minimum card to run the Lost coast demo was a X800, and it prompts you at install, if your PC does'nt meet the minimum spec, whether you still want to install and run it.

Yet my 2.2Ghz, socket 754 newcastle, 1 gb PC3200 & 128mb 9700 Pro, ran it fine on max settings, 30+ fps pretty much all the time.

I think your problems for running the demo lay somewhere else, drivers maybe.

Try lowering the res of your desktop to 1024*768 then start loast coast and see if you can get into it, once you've set the res in the demo you can increase your desktop res to whatever it was before.