cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection dropping on cod2

N/A

i have been losing my connection every few seconds when playing cod2. this has been happening for a week now. fault checker shows a plusnet problem but no answers from them. maybe time to look for another isp. any suggestions for a good gaming isp?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Could be something to do with your router or firewall. If it's only that game that you're having problems with it is unlikely an ISP switch will help you out.
N/A

I have problems with COD2 alone, others i lag, but its playable. It appears when i play COD2 but ping spikes to 999, and then ill get cut off. But; if i minimize when my ping spikes, and return to game, it goes back to normal for a few seconds before it spikes back again
N/A

that suggests its a hardware problem then. Have you ensured you have the latest drivers for your graphics card and chipset?
N/A

The game works like a dream on single player, i have a fairly decent spec machine, AMD 64 3200+, with a XFX 7800GT and 1GB Ram.

I dont understand how it can be a hardware problem if the game runs perfect on single player, but not online?
N/A

try the following:

# Latest nVidia graphics drivers
# Latest chipset drivers (motherboard drivers) including network drivers (this could be the key)
# You may need to get seperate network card drivers, depending on your setup (i.e. if its integrated into the motherboard with the drivers provided by chipset drivers or an add-in card which will need seperate ones)
N/A

I stopped playing the game because i couldnt figure it out, but i may try it again. Im on a wireless network, with a fairly poor wireless card. However, it does work on every game fine apart from COD2.
N/A

I have done a bit of looking into this subject myself, and I think the Ping spikes are actually a COD problem. It seems to be more common since the last patch (1.3), and I have read complaints about it on particular gaming sever websites based in the UK and the US. I have a theory that its maybe a problem in communicating with punkbuster, as you sometimes get a long delay time entering a game while PB authenticates your game.

I dont think it really helps much sorry but I actually dont think this is a PN problem Cry
iainmacmillan
Grafter

go to the PB website and manually download their client (this can also be used to fix all the Battlefield series) and update the PB drivers manually.

also make sure that you have the right ports open on the Windows Firewall or your FW software/router -- ports listed in the COD2 folder. I think COD2 uses some Gamespy code when connecting online to servers. Also shut off your anti-virus software.

My COD:UO and COD2 work fine with pings lower than 30ms on UK/Euro servers and a bit higher on US ones. I can also host games, but that required more tweaks to my Negear router.

Great game, great fun, especially with friends around the globe on Teamspeak!!
Boundey
Grafter

I play COD2 most the time and i get pings of ~36ms.

Its quite nice to have a good ping and it very rarely spikes or drops out.
N/A

try these settings in console;

cl_maxpackets 100
snaps 30
cl_packetdup 2
com_maxfps 333
pb_sleep 20
pb_writecfg

that probably won't help but it does give u the best shot registration

Plusnet are messing around atm upgrading or just random tampering my connection keeps dropping out also not game specific tho. Also getting huge lag spikes major packetloss as a result of Plusnets upgrading etc...

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
Slick
Grafter

cl_maxpackets 30

will give you good ping and tbh it isnt a pb or plusnet thing as i never have a bad ping and im on wireless network to.
try updating wireless gear and if all else fails go here and post and they will tell you exactly wot it is,
http://iwnation.com/Forums/
N/A

ping isn't really the issue its the strength of connection to a server

setting cl_maxpackets 100 sends nice fat packets to the server and your shots register alot more efficently

locks your ping @ 48ms unless u get little spikes of packetloss much better than your ping jumping up and down all the time and sending weak packets.