cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best Graphics card for £100 all in ?

N/A

Hi,

I've just been given a socket 939 mobo to replace my old one, so start with a amd 64 3000 look at x2 later, but it means Im going to need a pci-x graphics card rather than AGP.

Im prepared to spend up to about £100 (although if I can get nearly as good for less then that would be fine!)

I am out of the loop on the technology these days so Im not sure how things stack up. Ive read various reviews but of course prices change, drivers improve things etc.

So far as I can see I ought to be looking at X1600 or 7600 technologies ?

Play all sorts but mainly Total War & Oblivion, various fps.

What would the panel recommend? Smiley

thanks
9 REPLIES
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Try and get a 7600 card if possible, i only use Nvidia cards, since 3DFX went the way of the dodo. I would recommend looking at whats Dabs can offer (http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11137&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=2)

Use the filters to drill down to whats on offer. When i still had my Athlon XP system a few months back i bought a cheap Dabs 6200 just so i could get Ghost Recon to work, my existing 5600 was no use. Now i have a 7600GT card, and EVE, BF2 and all my other games look really good.

I would also recommend Microdirect (www.microdirect.co.uk), these guys are great and know their stuff. Good prices, site and most of system was built by components from them. You might pick up a bargain Athlon 64 939, they're on special these last few weeks... :lol:
N/A

This seems really good for 129.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103584/rb/20358074684

Does your board have pcie thenHuh

Ebuyer are good by the way used them a lot

Or this they both look ace

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108150/rb/20358121530
N/A

x1600 is meant to be good since it has the advantage of stuff like AA+HDR for things like Oblivion.

I've got the x800GTO2. it may not be Shader3 but it FLIES along on pretty muchh all games. I've got a setup the same as you and my Oblivion is running nicely with all my sliders bar shadows up to the top.
vic_newey
Grafter

Look here also, a big selection of graphic cards of all types

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
Slick
Grafter

N/A

just to close this - I ended up getting an x1600pro. £52+vat It gets me going and is cheap enough. The 7600's were all 70ish +vat.

went to microdirect. amd64 3700 retail, 250gb sata2, x1600pro & new power supply for £206 inc vat and delivery. Didnt think that was bad- beat scan/aria etc anyway.
N/A

Thats where I got my X800gto2 from! Walked down and picked it up myself!

The x1600 should perform BETTER than the 7600, just. So a good move there. It does AA & HDR in Obv too.

I'm sticking with my gto2 at the moment since it absolutely flies along for the likes of HL2.

Got my eye on a skt939 mobo in the for sale forum here, should be pinging the guy a mail tomorrow since I get paid then! Wink

Then its a case of find a place that does a nice x2 3800!
N/A

I saw that mobo. Maybe I misunderstnad the missing shim thing but isnt that the plastic frame that the heatsink/fan clamp to?

I would make sure that you are going to be able to fasten the heatsink down.

If I was buying a mobo (rather than being given it) I would prob go for the newer socket M2. I think you can pick up a mobo for £40 or so.
N/A

I think you can buy a new shim for very little. I'm HOPING its not too much work!

M2, oh AM2! Yes I would, but it needs DDR2 RAM so that would mean mobo, CPU and a new wadge of RAM on top of that too!