Did you mean: 

anyone got their PS2 connected?

N/A

Hi,
I've come up against these questions raised by the PS2 network connection disc:
1: is PPPoE supported?
2:does plusnet support DHCP?
3:Enter I.P address..how do I find this?
4: Is DNS given automatically? If not I have to enter them manually?

I'm grateful for any advice!

Moderators note by John (Johnessex) Post moved to a more apt section of the forums.
20 REPLIES
N/A

Before I answer any of the questions, what setup have you got?

I'll post my setup later when I get home from work, which should answer all your questions.
Community Veteran

I.e what ADSL equipment do you have. How have you connected your PS2 and PC together?

All of your questions are related to your local ADSL hardware and not related to Plusnet so we need that info before we can answer your questions.
N/A

thanks guys, basically, I'm not routing through the PC, they are too far apart, and Idon't want to spend the necessary £££ on wireless gear (+I'm nervous about setting it all up!)

So, I'm going for a direct connection. (I appreciate that the PS2 and PC wont be able to go online at the same time).
I've acquired a network adapter and a D-linkl DSL-300T Ethernet modem.

Thanks for the help
N/A

Ok,

Plus Net will not be listed, so you will have to manually configure the connection.

Q1. PPPoE - Answer No
Q2. Enter your user name and password
Q3. DCHP - Try Yes, not 100% Sure, since I connect Via a Router so my IP address is given by the router.
Q4. DNS - Yes

Let me know how you get on.
Aaron
N/A

Ok, when I answer "no" to PPPoE, there is no option to input the username/password.
I've input all the other stuff, and when the network test starts it keeps failing the DNS test!

I'm getting hacked off already!!

:?
N/A

Ok, here goes, I've just loaded up my network disk.

Goto Advanced Options, Select Add Network Configuration File.

1. Select the PS2 Adaptor
2. Select Auto Detect
3. Select Yes to PPPoE (Sorry for getting it Incorrect earlier), it doesn't actually use PPPoE but allow you to enter a password.
4. Try DCHP, this is one setting your'll have to play around with. It will either work or it won't. It's can only be one of two.
5.DNS - Should be Yes, Otherwise try 212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50

Finally save the settings under a suitable name.

That should be it.

Aaron
N/A

still no joy..
I've even tried accessing through a game rather than the access disk. Everything goes fine , even the connection test, until "verifying DNAS" comes up, and it all goes pear shaped.

I've tried auto DNS and inputting the manual numbers, and always get a DNS fail.

I was looking forward to Burnout 3 online too! Cry
N/A

I assume your modem works fine with your PC.

What O/S are you using on your PC? Can you run IPconfig /All

and Post the results (if any IP starts with 212 then replace the last two parts with xxx)

I'm just curious to see what IP the modem is giving to your PC, as you might need to enter an IP address for your Playstation.

Aaron
N/A

I haven't used this modem with the PC Aaron, as I bought it just for the PS2 and I don't have an ethernet card, but my PC reports the following:

IP: 81.174.170.58
Mask:255.255.255.255
Gateway:81.174.170.58

cheers!
N/A

Change the DCHP setting to No and post these settings in the various box. Also make sure only either your PS2 or PC is connected, you obviously cannot use both at the same time.
N/A

done...abortive.

I wish I could use a router, at least I know the PC connection works..
Is the wireless route very complex?
N/A

Does your modem can do NAT. If it can then you need to set a static ip address.
when it ask about DHCP select no

1. Using the on-screen keyboard, enter the following information:

IP Address try 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 I don't know your modem try checking the manual for it's defualt address
Netmask

Default Router Address
192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.2

Primary DNS Address
Seconday DNS Address
2. Highlight ENTER and press the X button when you are done.

If you don't have NAT the do the same but with IP: 81.174.170.58
Mask:255.255.255.255
Gateway:81.174.170.58
keep the dns the same.
Community Veteran

OK, lets start again because everyone is getting confused and making the wrong assumptions about the capabilities of your ADSL hardware.

First, the D-Link DSL-300T is an Ethernet modem. It does not have a firewall, does not support NAT and does not have DHCP capabilities.

The first thing you need to do is get the modem working on a PC because I don't think you will be able to set the modem up via the PS2 (at least I don't know how to). Do you have a PC with a working Ethernet port?

Ok, unplug any other ADSL modems from your PC and connect the 300T, make sure your PC is set to obtain it's IP address automatically then reboot your PC.

In your browser enter 192.168.1.1 which should take you to the set-up pages on the modem. Follow the installation guide to setup the modem where you will be asked to enter your plusnet username (username@plusdsl.net probably) and password). Save all the changes then reboot your PC. Your PC's IP address should now be set to your plusnet assigned static IP address and you should be able to acces the internet.

Once you have the modem working, connect it to your PS2 and then set it up: I don't have a PS2 so can't help much here but try setting the PS2 to use DHCP and if that works, the rest of the config like IP address, DNS servers and gateway should be set automatically. If not, DNS is 212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50, IP is your plusnet static IP and use PPoE (as explained earlier).

See how you go with that?
N/A

thanks for you input on this guys/..

problem is I don't have ethernet on the PC, so guess I'd need a PCI card?
I've found from the modem docs that it has it's own default IP address, is this the one I should use then?

failing that I'm thinking of returning the modem and getting some wireless gear.
What is you guys opinion on this? Is it a nightmare to set up? would it reach from a room on one side of the house to the other?

many thanks