cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a question about the online gaming community

N/A

Sorry, AAO is Americas Army

Im not to sure about other games but with AA the admin of the server can be done in 2 ways, 1. is a web browser based server manager, provided by the server provider and 2. By joining the server as an admin or as an adminplayer.

I prefer to use the game when administering our server it allow me to get a better feel for whats going on in the server.

Both methods allow u to send files to the server, with the correct password and permissions obviously. But I would not think any server hosts for any game would give out admin passwords to players because as well as sending files the admin password gives u the power to do much more, eg kick/ban other players etc.

So in answer to your question yes it can be done with the right permissions.

Some, but not all games/servers let you download maps from the game server, if the game does not you will need to provide a web link to let players download and install the map before joining the server.

If you have made a custom map that you would like to share I would suggest posting a link to download it on a friendly clans forum, this allows the clan to check it out and if their happy with it they may run it on their server for you. Alternatively you could host your own server on your PC to test it with a few friends, most games have an in built facility, which will allow you to do this.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hello all,

I'm a bit rusty with the online gaming community, the last serious gaming I did online was with Unreal Tournament 2003, so forgive the lame question please!

It is possible to transfer files between players inside an ongoing game? and is it possible to transfer files between players whilst not playing, for example does any game nowadays have some kind of IRC or a peer-to-peer file sharing capability?
What games have these features?

I know you could download maps and other mods in Unreal, but I'm conscious that gaming has moved on since then.

Is there a central list of dedicated servers for games, such as Medal of Honour or Counter-Strike?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

poncenby
N/A

hiya! ive no idea to your question to be honest.. i just wante to welcome you back to the online gaming community!!!

After reading a posting on here of the "best online games" i downloaded Enemy Territory... its a great fun game with a nice community so if you fancy having a go at that im sure you will be more than welcome! There is another version too called ETF which is more like a Quake/Unreal type game... you might like that one too.....

have fun and hope you get the answers you want soon
N/A

The All Seeing Eye is a good server browser. It finds most servers for any game u have installed.

No idea re the file transfer thing :?
jberry
Grafter

It is possible to transfer files between players inside an ongoing game? and is it possible to transfer files between players whilst not playing, for example does any game nowadays have some kind of IRC or a peer-to-peer file sharing capability?
What games have these features?

Not many .. but it depends on what you mean by transfer files. There are a lot of games where you can enable the server to allow you download maps you dont have but beyond that there is nothing much.

Josh
N/A

The All Seeing Eye is a good server browser. It finds most servers for any game u have installed.

No idea re the file transfer thing :?

ASE is a fantastic gaming program, I use it, and the registration for life only cost me just over twenty quid.

There is also a new messenger program out XFire that supports gaming also, you can chat in game with it, and send whatever file you want, whilst your gaming or not, it records all your friends, and your favorite servers, take a look!
N/A

Thanks for the help....

Thanks for all the replies.
Seems like a games server can push files to a client but I am yet to find a way of doing the reverse. Obviously this would have the same implications as peer-to-peer applications so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.
I haven't tried XFire out yet but thanks for the link!

Thanks again,

poncenby
N/A

What files are u intending to send?

As an admin on an AAO server, I regularly upload various config files, which my clan use in an attempt to stop people cheating. But I would not want players messing with the set-up or to have access to the server other than to play. To gain access to send files to a game server you would need to have the admin password and possibly more.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, could you answer these questions?

- what game is AAO?
- if you administer the server, are you able to allow clients to upload files such as custom maps/config files? Is there a game where this file sharing can be configured within the game itself? by that I mean by using onyl the game rather than P2P apps.

thanks again for your time

poncenby
N/A

i personally love doing Sim racing games online.

Love the community and the people in it. Love the fact that i get sponsored to do it Tongue

I love the wheel to wheel racing you get with a 40 driver grid. Sweet Cheesy