cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a bit of help please

Jeni
Grafter

a bit of help please

i hope ive posted this in the right forum!

im wondering how much bandwidth gaming uses, my kids ply halo, dawn of war, and empire at war, usually online and i have noticed recently my bandwidth usage has gone up - alot! they also use xfire, altho i thought it was just a chat interface im not so sure now. does it need to be running to play any of the above games?
theres usually only 1 computer running the game, occasionally they will both be playing at the same time on different computers, sometimes the same game, sometimes not. they are usually only on the computer after school, so about 3 hours, maybe 4.
i really want to get my usage down as its cost me an extra few £s this month that i just dont have spare.
does the vmbu work properly, cos although mines showing my usage from today, none of it is under gaming, its virtually all browsing.
2 REPLIES
Slick
Grafter

a bit of help please

gaming does use bandwidth but not a dramatic amount.
to play a game you need to send packets to the server and receive them (bandwidth usage)
i play online games with me boy and we play call of duty 2 alot together every night.
tho we will only use approx 1 gig per month on that game.

hope this helps
clockley
Grafter

a bit of help please

I would recommend for the first month or so, log in the member centre, and there is a "view my usage" option. Here you can see how much bandwidth you are using, and monitor.

Hope this helps,

Carl