Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your gaming with PlusNet

cpdixon
Dabbler

Your gaming with PlusNet

Hello,

My name is Chris and i work in the CSC, if you have called recently you may well have spoken to me!

This is my first of many posts so I will make it a good one, and I am hoping for lots of constructive feedback, so be nice.

From Xbox 360 to PC or PS3, we all like to put a little time aside to play the latest games around. Whether your thing is spending the afternoon saving mankind from impending doom or just plain blowing up your friends in a 4-way deathmatch, we want your outlook on what gaming means for you and what we as your ISP can do to make this easier and more fun!

We are wanting to promote top-notch gaming on PlusNet, we have lots of ideas ourselves and really want your feedback! We want to make an excellent experience for you hardcore gamers (and the not so hardcore) out there and want to know what you think we should be doing.

I can promise you that all ideas will be taken into consideration

We want to ramp up the already active community here and give you guys something more to talk about.

A couple of ideas we have at the moment:

- We are looking into storing all the latest game patches for you, rather than downloading from the slow EA link or fileplanet we want to give this to you faster than them. Would you make use of this?

- LAN Tournament hosted at Internet House! - What games would you guys want to play?

- Possible gaming package designed specifially for... Gamers! - Would you be interested?

- Possible game server hosting for our gaming customers - Would this be a feature you would use?

We really want some volunteers and lots of constructive feedback to help us out with this, as we really want to make this better for you and there is only so much that we can come up with on our own.

So please post here ANYTHING that you feel would make your gaming life easier, more fun and more involved with PlusNet.

Cheesy

Link to this on the community site
22 REPLIES
Flux

Your gaming with PlusNet

I replied to the topic on the Community Forum:

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=145.0

Matt.
cpdixon
Dabbler

Your gaming with PlusNet

Thank you very much,

This is exactly what we are looking for!

Keep it coming Smiley
Community Veteran

Your gaming with PlusNet

The game server idea sounds good especially if you will allow it to host NWN persistent worlds. So far all my online gaming as revolved around NWN so I can't comment on some of your other suggestions.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Your gaming with PlusNet

Hosting the gaming patches is a good idea.

You could also try hosting your own gaming servers for games like BF2142. That would be handy.

Wink
Firejack
Grafter

Re: Your gaming with PlusNet

A couple of ideas we have at the moment:

- We are looking into storing all the latest game patches for you, rather than downloading from the slow EA link or fileplanet we want to give this to you faster than them. Would you make use of this?

If they are kept up to date I'd use this feature. As it stands now though the current service provided by Plusnet for games ( http://gamefiles.frag9.net/ ) is always out of date. From what I understand its only Josh Berry that ever updated the files.
Maybe Plusnet could become a mirror for a popular gaming downloading service like http://www.gamershell.com/ ? Let someone else maintain the files for you and all you have to do is supply the bandwidth.

- LAN Tournament hosted at Internet House! - What games would you guys want to play?
Strategy and First Person Shooters are always favourites at LAN sessions. At least this is all we play at my friends new place Smiley

- Possible gaming package designed specifially for... Gamers! - Would you be interested?
Not sure you need a specific package for gamers as Plusnet's packages have always been suitable for gaming, at least in my experience of Broadband PAYG and Broadband Premier. Latency and the monthly bandwidth used by gaming always fits within usuable limits with a good margin for overrun.

- Possible game server hosting for our gaming customers - Would this be a feature you would use?
You mean a service customers pay for or free system like we have now? Assuming the first. Yes I would pay. The service would have to be regular updated, reliable and feature packed. However I think the market is already saturated with game service providers, www.multiplay.co.uk, www.jolt.co.uk etc. And I don't see that being an easy tasks to break into their market share.

Currently gaming is going through a major transformation. We are moving towards a convergence of PC and console gaming for starters. Many of the new PC titles for Vista are also compatible with the Xbox360. The idea of this is much more focused on the idea of building gaming communitys like my own ( http://www.thetngc.org.uk ). Instead if just logging on to a game and joining a server for a particular game with a lot of strangers you build communities and a group of friends who are fellow gamers to play together not only in your favourite game but try other other games together.

The other major change is the way we pay for games. Up to now we've mostly gone to a shop and bought a game and if it was multiplayer we setup a server of our own or if we wanted someone else to run it we went to a company like multiplay.co.uk. Now though many of the new games which are successful offer a subscription based service where you buy the game but the game servers are setup and maintained for you as part of a persistent virtual world.

For the last 3 or so years I've been the Administrator for Plusnet's games05 and games08 servers and I'd say the main limitation I've faced in that time is only having a Linux platform for hosting game servers. Although personally wherever possible I always use Linux there are some servers that are only available for Windows. This has been a problem in making the servers I Administer a success. Current games I've got installed are mostly Battlefield 2/Half Life 2 +mods but these are old now and the servers are largely ignored. I've not logged in myself for weeks. I know Plusnet use Linux because of the security and cost issues presented by running Windows servers but if we want to keep the game servers busy and a valuable feature of Plusnet they need to be more flexible what we can use them for.
One thing I've always missed about running the Plusnet servers is a sense of Teamwork. Apart from the occasional E-mail I send Josh for help I am pretty much left to run the servers myself. Which is great that I get this responsibility its just when things go wrong you can quickly find yourself in a dead end. Would be awesome if the admins of the game servers were somehow kept in contact with each other and had a place to share tips and tricks for running various games on Plusnet's servers.

Anyhow thats some general thoughts and ideas for now.. will pop back later on to see what develops and if I have any suggestions to make Smiley
garysmith

Your gaming with PlusNet

the most important thing for fps players is ping....any tips to help are most welcome
N/A

Your gaming with PlusNet

Thanks for the ideas guys, we are still looking into all of them and we should see some interesting things come of them over the coming weeks! Cheesy

We should be able to add some support pages and online gaming tutorials for those that want help with anything but in the meantime keep the ideas coming.

Anything you think that we should offer on that has a gaming flavour will be taken into account and will help us to help you!

Wink
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Your gaming with PlusNet

Hosting the top patches would be handy, setup our own Gaming part of the portal. I currently get my patches from DLH.net and Xfire, where the client can be told to go get patches when I am NOT playing any games....very useful.

Gamer package would be very good, and would provide a large number of customers, but you need to back it up with dedicated servers so when they connect to PN, they get onto the priority server with all the usual game ports open and low latency as possible. Allowing services such as TS/Vent would also be handy, i have never got the existing TS server to work.

Server hosting again would be a 'nice to have'. There are companies who do this already in the UK, but if you wanted to run say top 5 or 10 game servers great, but you would need a good team to manage & maintain the service and make sure it got used. Most folk are put off by the prices charged, some BF ranked servers have a minimum slot charge which works out at £100's per year. I would say a minimum slot of 10 and a TS server to match. All hosted separate to the usual broadband service so we do not compete for bandwidth.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

Your gaming with PlusNet

you know what would be better? patches being excempt from the monthly download limits Cheesy i think that's where most of my bandwidth goes anyway. i can but hope :roll:
dkeys
Dabbler

Your gaming with PlusNet

Hello my name is Darren and along with Adam and Chris we will be trying to help out with your gaming issues. The idea's above or all great and i will raise them in our next meeting.

I will also investigate the team speak server.

Keep coming up with ideas! Cheesy
Firejack
Grafter

Your gaming with PlusNet

Hey Iain. Thought your name looked familiar. Answered a query of yours awhile ago about Teamspeak - http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39779&highlight=teamspeak

Same advice apply's really. Just send me a PM if you are having problems or need to know the current password. I have Email notifications of PM's enabled so normally reply much quicker to those then forum posts.

The Teamspeak Server has always been really reliable. Currently running at 290 days uptime so you shouldn't be having problems connecting.

Here is the guide I wrote for the members in my gaming community to connect too. Important to note you're joining the public part of the server and the port is 8777 NOT 8767 as shown in the guide.
http://www.thetngc.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Teamspeak
garysmith

Your gaming with PlusNet

any chance of channel admin jack?
I use ts a lot and would like to ask people on but dont cos i cant kick them if they are unruly
Firejack
Grafter

Your gaming with PlusNet

Sure just send me a PM with what you want to call the channel and the password you want to use for the channel.
N/A

Your gaming with PlusNet

I like the sound of he gaming package, i mostly use the net for gaming on my 360