cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox live and usage limits

N/A

Hi I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how much your average hour of Xbox live gaming would take up in terms of usage? i.e. How many Mb would be used per hour.

I assume all your actually downloading is monotone voice and your characters location on the screen whereas the rest is done by the console itself but I thought I would check to see if solid regular Xbox live gaming is do-able with a 15GB per month Broadband Premier Option 1 package.

Your views would be greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Assuming you already have the Xbox all set up and ready to go, could you not just reset the stats on your router, then play for an hour, and check back to see what was used?
Sorry if I'm being ignorant on the finer points of Xbox, not much of a console user. Shockedops:
N/A

Thanks for the reply Smiley. I don't currently have Xbox live and I was wondering if anyone could give me an indication before purchasing it so I could update my boradband package if required.

If anyone could give me a rough indication as to how much their gaming uses per hour I would be very grateful!
N/A

Microsoft state about 10MB per hour going up to about 15MB for the more fast paced games. Whereas PC gaming uses around 40MB an hour. I guess the rates vary.

So if your really hardcore and play 10+ hours a day for a whole month your looking at about 4-5GB. So for a normal gamer I cant see it going over 2-3GB although this is just guessimating from Microsofts say so.
N/A

Some months ago my conection was been monitored by one of the tech guys (this was the time of the traffic management / ping spike probs starting.) He told me that Halo2 was using between 50 & 60 mb per hour.

Simon
N/A

Wow...50mb per hour sounds like an aweful lot.

Could you possibly provide me a link to where Microsoft states 10Mb per hour? Or could anyone confirm the 50mb per hour figure?
N/A

I don't play Halo online anymore but i seriously doubt that it would use 50mb per hour. I play PGR 3 and COD 2 online and rarely use more than 10-15mb per hour.
N/A

I think you would be safe, obviously if you were to download all the demos and trailers then you would be in trouble, but just playing games I really doubt you could exceed the usage limits.

From my experience its more like 25mb an hour, and thats with the g/f playing WoW at the same time on the PC.
N/A

I cant find the link again now, I will keep looking but trust me its not 50-60MB an hour, even PC gaming doesnt use this much.

Ah, here we go

This one is actually different from the one I found last time, but it agrees with what I found earlier. Just googling for Xbox Live Bandwidth per hour will produce lots of results, I havent found a site what compares them exactly but there is probably one there.

Like the above poster said, they have 25MB an hour while playing WoW on the PC and a game on the Xbox. Wow uses anything upto about 10MB but this varies, but 25MB an hour for playing both games at the same time is quite good.

I think with heavy voice users you could be looking at 5mb per hour extra if there is alot talking and your talking back etc. But I find it hard to believe that you could get much over 15MB/hour on an Xbox.
pentwyn
Grafter

I think it depends very much on the particular "mode" in which you join the game.
With some of the Halo2 game modes one of the players is chosen to host the game on their XBOX, with all the other players connecting to this XBOX acting as the server - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2
PlusNet's usage includes traffic in both directions so the difference is significant depending on the game mode.
I have seen usage of 50-60MB per hour playing Halo2.

Rhys
N/A

Even with 4 xbox's being used most of the day as the 3 kids are on during the holidays and me in the evening it's hard to get to 7gb a month on the gaming alone.
Ajtame
Grafter

I completely hammer mine for online gaming and never get very high usage, on a premier account if gaming is all you use it for then I wouldnt be worried at all. Plus isnt specifically designed for gaming but you could probbably do quite alot on that too without problem.
N/A

With concerns of download limits I began to monitor mine a little while ago, I'd agree that around 50-60Mb an hour sounds about right.
N/A

I found this pdf.

http://caia.swin.edu.au/talks/CAIA-TALK-050613A

If someone would care to decipher it for us :?: Shockedops:

Simon
pentwyn
Grafter

The relevant bit as far as this discussion is concerned are the graphs on the lower half of page 5.

The XBOX which was acting as the server in their experiment was logging an average of about 160kbs in traffic to all the clients and about 60kbs from all clients. As plusnet count traffic in both directions, we need to add these to give a total figure of 220kbs

220kbs equates to 27.5kBs which is equivalent to about 100MB traffic per hour.

The boxes which were acting as clients each logged about 55kbs from the server and about 20kbs to the server. A total of 75kbs (roughly 34MB per hour)

.... if I've done the maths right Shocked

These numbers are of the same order as those quoted earlier in the thread.

I guess the trick is to make sure your XBOX isn't acting as the server!

Cheers
Rhys