cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Live with USB modem

N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Hi there,

Im gona be gettin an xbox in a few days time and i'll also be gettin the live kit aswell. Just wanting to know, will i need any other equipment to hook up the xbox to go live?

I am using the standard Alcatel USB modem on 1mb (if thats any help for ya)

Cheers

All the best for 2k4

Chamone!
13 REPLIES
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

If you use a router, simply whack it into a port and bobs your uncle.

If, like me, you're using a usb modem, things are a little bit more complicated, but easily sorted.

Along with the Xbox live starter kit, you'll need a LAN card to link your Xbox to your PC, an operating system above Win 98SE, (win 98 first edition won't work, as it doesn't come with internet connection sharing,) a cross-over lan/ethernet cable, a visa, mastercard or an amex card, (no switch or debit cards....grrrrr,) and an xbox. (lol.)

Turn off your PC, xbox, everything connected to them all and put the lan card into your PC. Plug the lan cable into the lan card in your pc, and po pthe other end into your xbox. Turn on the xbox.

Turn on the PC.

Take a ganders here for the individual settings for each operating system, and how to get Internet Connection Sharing up and running.

You must pick "I don't currently have a network" option on page 2 when installing it, otherwise it gets a bit stroppy.

In Win XP, go into My Computer, click on Network Places, then on View network connections, right click your default internet connection, go into properties, then into advanced, and select "Allow other network users to access the internet."

Then reboot your PC, keeping the xbox on, and hopefully after the reboot, you run the setup disk with xbox live starter pack and it connects to internet no probs.

(Took me about 5 hours to do it on the first go, so best 'o' luck Smiley )
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Cheers mon, Btw u only live round corner from me Wink

Leigh
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Really? Fab!

Assuming when you put Leigh you meant the place, I got my xbox from Cannings.

Small world.

But did you get it up and running?
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Not yet it shud arrive tomoz, ya a live in leigh not far from cannings.

BTW i aint got a router im just gona use the Lan port on me mobo and bang a cat5 (RJ-45) cross over cable into it.

That shud do the trick eh?

Weer abouts in boutun are ya?
A usually go up rivey a take some landscape pics every now n then and do a bit of skywatchin for UFO's n stuff. (sad a know but i yav seen some strange things in me time)
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Yeah, that should work. I had to use a pci network card, as my mobo is second hand off an old mate, but for some reason he hadn't kept the cable with the port on.

He bought me 2 network cards as replacement tho, so I wasn't overly upset, and a cross-over cable, so bobs yer uncle.

As for where I live, just after the border betwix Atherton and Bolton, off Newbrook Road.
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

LOL im orignally fom atherton (car bank street)

Reet am gona sort this xbox thing out now as it came about an hour ago, just bin tryna get some kudos points n stuff on PGR2 Wink
N/A

Need Help ere!!

Havin probs with sortin out the connection bridge to the pc to xbox, need some ideas on where im goin wrong.

Cry

Here some pics:

http://www.chamone.plus.com/4rum/pic1.jpg
http://www.chamone.plus.com/4rum/pic2.jpg
http://www.chamone.plus.com/4rum/pic3.jpg
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

The Xbox Live website has a tutorial on how to set up ICS, but like the Plusnet one it's pretty ropey at best and a little irrelevant.

I'm using Windows ME so the setup process is different for myself. Just make sure that in the Home Networking Wizard (or whatever it is on XP) that you've selected the right connection and the right network card. Xbox.com says you should select the WAN card, but that didn't work for me and I had to select Dial Up Networking via the ADSL Modem :?

Also check that if you're using a firewall (especially Zone Labs' Zonealarm) that you disable it and then try using your Xbox online. Zonealarm won't work with ICS. McAfee Personal Firewall does and it's free to use, too. I'd recommend that. Try disabling the built-in Windows XP firewall, because it's a bit of a joke.

Getting this to work boils down to trying each and every configuration until it works. Have you checked that the network card is responding correctly? Are you using a length of RJ45 Crossover cable and not patch cable?

I hope this has been a small shred of help and I'll look forward to playing you at Gotham 2 soon!
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Righty oh i sorted it now thank goodness for that, coz i was startin to really itch.

Lemmy get some cars unlocked b4 i start racin peeps online.
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

If you buy the fastest car in each class, it makes things a lot easier. Once you get enough Kudos tokens, go to the Showroom and buy the Enzo Ferrari- it'll keep you going online for a while.

I've just completed the Kudos World Series on Silver and have 71 cars unlocked, so there's no shortage of tokens to be had.
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

Ya mon a started on silver class,

Cheers
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

I am using the ics sharing for xbox live. It works fine u can use da net as well as xbox live but u do get lag if u use both. U need a crossover ethernet cable its all on xbox.com
N/A

Xbox Live with USB modem

I don't get lag on my connection. Just depends on the game and what resources you're using on the PC.