cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Live: I simply cannot connect to it: IP address failure

N/A

I simply cannot connect to Xbox Live on the 360 with my plusnet account. Please help!

I am connecting the Xbox directly to the modem with the ethernet cable (so I have nothing else plugged in).

When I do a connection test on the Xbox, I always get the message "IP Address Failure." I have tried everything to sort this out, including manually configuring the IP address, subnet mask and gateway.

Is there anyone here who successfully connects to Live with Plusnet? I have a static IP address and the modem is a D-Link DSL300T (adsl modem).

I'm not sure if I'm entering the right details. For the IP address, I enter the static IP which Plusnet have given me; for the subnet mask I enter 255.255.255.255 and for the gateway I enter the modem set-up number 192.168.1.1 (I've also tried entering the IP address as the gateway).

Can anyone help? If you have static IP, do you have to manually configure the Live settings as I've been doing. The plusnet support people told me to delete the static IP address from my modem settings as the Xbox should find this.

Finally, although I use PPoA, when I connect to the Xbox should I use this or should I switch to "static" or "bridge?"

Any help will be eternally appreciated as I'm desperate to have a go at online gaming!
10 REPLIES
N/A

Andy,

You can set the ip in the 360's settings manually but it will not be the ip that plusnet have given you it will be something like 192.168.0.2.
The easiest way is to leave all of the settings on the 360 to automatic and it will configure itself.
N/A

Andy,

You can set the ip in the 360's settings manually but it will not be the ip that plusnet have given you it will be something like 192.168.0.2.
The easiest way is to leave all of the settings on the 360 to automatic and it will configure itself.

Hi!

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try again today. At least I know now that I've been putting in the wrong IP address, so I can move on from there!
N/A

It's still not working. Sad

As I'm using a static IP address, I think I do need to enter the IP number provided by my ISP...but that doesn't work either!
N/A

No you don't have to enter the IP provided by your ISP for the Xbox.

The IP for your Xbox will be one of a range from you Local Area Network, e.g your modem will be 192.168.0.1 and then your Xbox could be 192.168.0.3.

Have you tried setting all of the 360's settings to automatic?
Does the edit tab give you an IP for the xbox in Network Settings that you can use?
N/A

Thanks for your help, and you're absolutely right! I now enter the IP settings as 192.168.1.2 and the gateway 192.168.1.1 and I finally get IP address confirmation!!

Now I have another problem. Cry I get DNS failure. I have the DNS primary and secondary numbers from my Plusnet account and I enter them manually, but they don't work. Automatic doesn't work either.

Does this mean that I can't ever get Xbox Live or is there a way around it?
N/A

It doesn't mean you can't have Xbox Live, c'mon Andy have faith Smiley
I have to say though that this is a strange one. Normally left to automatic it should work fine.
Have you setup DNS statically on your modem, if so then set the Xbox settings to those.
I have mine statically on my router and Xbox set at

Primary 212.159.6.9
Secondary 212.159.6.10
N/A

Thanks for your help again. Cool

The DNS number Plusnet gave me were:

These have never worked.

I then typed entered the numbers you suggested (6.9 and 6.10)...and...it worked...once! And now, it's not working again. Every time I get DNS failure. I've kept the settings identical to the time it worked...but no result.

For a bried moment, I accessed Xbox Live and set up an account, and then it all went wrong. I lost my connection and have never got it back. I phoned up Plusnet and then said I should try entering any of the 4 random DNS numbers in a random order. I have tried this and it doesn't work either. Sad
N/A

Andy,

Add the previous DNS server numbers I gave you into your D-Link configuration and your Xbox.

Also can you see a configuration page of your D-Link modem with "DMZ", if you can add the IP of your Xbox into that setting.

Now go to Network Settings on the 360 and run the test and tell me what results you get.
N/A

Hi

Fantastic news! I managed to get onto Xbox Live last night. I don’t think I would have ever done it without your help as I did not know that the IP address to enter on Xbox is not the one supplied by Plusnet. I also didn’t know about the alternative DNS addresses.

Here’s how I did it. For some reason, it simply would not connect with the direct connection (Xbox 360 to modem). I’ve had an old Belkin wireless router flying around for over a year, which I never managed to get to work (because I’ve been entering the wrong settings)…until yesterday.

I basically set up the router with the settings, which you told me to put into the Xbox (DNS 212.59.6.9 + 6.10 / IP address 192.168.1.2 / Gateway 192.168.1.1). By some miracle, it worked! I then connected the Xbox 360 to the router. It still did not work on the automatic settings. I entered everything manually (DNS addresses you gave and the IP address and Gateway of my router). I also manually entered a MAC address onto the Xbox (I found this out through Google). I’m not sure if it makes any difference though.

I then proceeded to test the connection on Xbox and it passed all the tests (although on the final setting I only get moderate, but it still seems to work). I managed to connect to Project Gotham 3 and had a quick online match. My Nintendo DS also works online now after I had connected the router. I didn’t know that online gaming would be so much fun!

I’m terrified though that I’ll get disconnected and will never be able to get back on! I have written down every setting from the Xbox, router and modem so hopefully I can reconnect if things go wrong. The router does sometimes disconnect itself so I lose everything…all I have to do to get it back though is re-enter all of the settings.

Thanks again and maybe see you on Live!! (my gamer tag is AndyXL). Cool Cool
N/A

Excellent news Andy Cheesy
I would have replied sooner but all of my spare time seems to be on the 360 at the moment.