cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX Connection

N/A

XBOX Connection

I have an XBox and my son wants to go 'Live'. Assuming we will not want to use XBox Live at the same time as my PC is connected to the web, can I simply unplug the 'modem to PC' USB cable and plug in the XBox cable? I have read some of the posts on this forum that mention routers and LAN cards etc so I wonder if my approach is too simple and I have missed something. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

XBOX Connection

Unfortunatley, I don't think it is that simple. The XBox requires an ethernet (RJ45) connection, whereas your USB modem provides a...USB connection Smiley

One of the simplest things to do would be to buy an ethernet card (~£5) for the PC. This way you could plug the USB modem into the PC, and then in turn plug the XBox into that PC and share the connection using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). The only problem with that is that the PC needs to be on if you want to use the Xbox online (since the XBox connects through the PC effectively).

Alternatively, you could buy a router, though I could understand you not wanting to do that when you have a perfectly adequate piece of connection hardware already.

Hope that all made sense, it's quite early Smiley
N/A

XBOX Connection

Many thanks, that makes sense.....even this time in the morning !
N/A

XBOX Connection

Well I just spent half an hour making a diagram just in case, so here it is! Smiley

It's a bit squished, but hopefully you get the picture.
N/A

XBOX Connection

Wow, never had this much help from a discussion forum.....you should get a job with Microsoft, certainly teach them what assistance means. Thanks.
N/A

XBOX Connection

Hehe, you'll find these forums very helpful. If one person doesn't have the answer to your question, someone else is bound to. Or acarr will help - he knows all :lol:
N/A

XBOX Connection

I use this system ics. Works grt with plusnet hope it works 4 ya.