Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Gameplay / PS2 & XBOX

LiamM
Grafter

Wireless Gaming...

Anyone here using Playstation .Net and XBOX live wirelessly?

If so, what kit do you use with what routers?

Do you have to subscribe to use the PS2 online, or is that just Microsoft cashing in on XBOX users?

Sorry, I'm not really a gamer to be honest, but I'd like to have a go and would be interested in treating my brothers for their birthday!

I was looking at this to go with my DG834G?

And the XBOX live kit of course. Do I need any specific hardware for the PS2?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Wireless Gameplay / PS2 & XBOX

Wireless Gaming...

Anyone here using Playstation .Net and XBOX live wirelessly?

If so, what kit do you use with what routers?

Do you have to subscribe to use the PS2 online, or is that just Microsoft cashing in on XBOX users?

Sorry, I'm not really a gamer to be honest, but I'd like to have a go and would be interested in treating my brothers for their birthday!

I was looking at this to go with my DG834G?

And the XBOX live kit of course. Do I need any specific hardware for the PS2?

I used to run my network gaming wirelesly, but eventually the lag really P***** me off. So I invested in a couple of "mains-to-ethernet" converters. These allow your electrical cabling in your house to transfer data (completely safely).

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html slightly more pricey but at least they don't stop working if you misses is microwaving the cat.

I'd try those as a preference. If you must "do it wirelessly" as well as a wireless router you will also need a wireless bridge, I use a linksys one and it is fine (now demoted to running my printer). Any wreless bridge will work with any wireless router as long as it part of the 802.11 standard (preferably the same letter g, b or a. pref g)

Also you will need a ps2 network adapter kit (unless you have the new slim ps2 which has it built in).
N/A

just confirming PS2 online is free to use once you have an adaptor aswell, its only M$ that charge for it Wink

i just hookes an ethernet wire up to my router for using my PS2 online, dependes how far the ps2 is from the router though i suppose.
N/A

yup PS2 online is free for the majority of games. I'm only aware of FFXI that charges at the moment. Yup, ethernet cable directly from your router to the Ps2 is what you need.

M$ charge you 39.99 per year, tbh it's quite good value for the slickness of the system.
N/A

Agree with Passeys here.
The link he provided to Devlo is an excellent bit of kit.
A mate used to run Xbox Live wirelessly and the packet loss / lag was horrendous.
With the Devlo is pretty much non -existant.
N/A

As with the others, I used to use a wireless setup for my Xbox (Belkin) however the lag just kills it, forget hosting a game too.

Much better to go to the one off trouble of laying a wire to it.

But make sure you get on XBL, it's fantastic, you wont ever want another non live game.
N/A

I had an awful time using a wireless USB dongle for gaming, have been told that a decent card, router, bridge combo should do the trick though. Going to give it a try.
Failing that, looks like I'd HAVE to go down the mains networking route....
Delves
Grafter

Which ever option you choose to connect the service you want is Xbox Live. Ok you pay for the service but like everthing in life 'you get what you pay for' and as a subscriber to both I can tell you the experince is so much better on XBL that I or my son haven't played PS2 on line for over 2 years. XBL is that much better.

David
N/A

Have to admit, Halo 2 gets more of a caning than anything since I got on XBL. There IS a problem though, aside from that and a scattering of PGR2 ... I NEVER see a game that I want to buy on the XB. There's been loads on the PS2 this year and looking into the future there is a fair whack too.

Its got me thinking about where to go with the next gen, if the software library isn't shaken up from the XB side, I might hold off until the PS3 comes out (considering I can play Oblivion on the PC AND I love my Jap RPGs, and thats where the PS excels in my viewpoint).