cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wii

the_groundsman
Grafter

Wii

Hi there - never posted on the gaming board before, because I don't game. I have the old PAYG product with 4 GB per month. I dont use that much but sometimes creep over the 2GB so happy to pay for an extra 2GB. I havent entertained BBYW products after the problems of slow speeds a while back on BB+.

My Question.

My 11 year old has a Wii and wants to start playing games with his mate in the next village using the miracle of the wi fi connection. - I'd like an idea of how much bandwidth this is likely to use up ( I know how long is a piece of string) Lets say he is on line for an hour a day - just a rule of thumb would be good.

Bandwidth is already at a premium as my daughter has discovered Pirates of the Carib podcasts at around 80Mb per day - I am considering a move to BBYW with 8GB allowance per month to get round this.

Thanks for looking
7 REPLIES
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Wii

difficult to say, depends on what information is being transmitted. could be around 20 - 50Mb per day depending on the game and the link-up with the other console.

it would be better to hear from a PN user with a Wii (i just use my mates).
N/A

Wii

I have a Wii although I haven't played it online as yet. In the spirit of experimentation I have no problem with doing so, but am struggling to think how I can isolate the bandwidth the Wii is using from that of my brother who'll be busily gaming away on his PC in the next room.

If someone can suggest some traffic monitoring software that can filter by MAC address (or type) then I'll have a go.

Otherwise it'll have to wait until I've completed on the house and the broadband is active there, and I'd not like to speculate how long that might be. :?
clockley
Grafter

Wii

Alternatively, give us a call and we can tell you how much of the bandwidth used has been on gaming.

Hope this helps.

Carl
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Wii

Or you can view this yourself at the VMBU link here and then clicking the View Internet Activities link.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
the_groundsman
Grafter

Wii

Thanks for the replies, only started using it today in the hope that it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm on PAYG and can't see the breakdown - I used to get that on BB+ but it doesn't seem to be available on PAYG ( or I can't see it if it is).
Community Veteran

Wii

PAYG does not have the breakdown of usage like premier & BB+ as it gets its usage information from BT's radius servers which does not categorise it.

Premier, BB+ and BBYW get their usage from the Ellacoyas which can break the usage up into categories.
the_groundsman
Grafter

Wii

Oh dear!