cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi or ethernet on Broadband

N/A

I am looking at hooking up a home network and would like to know if anyone has advice on whether to use a wireless router and cards (eg Netgear MR814) or if I should go to the hassle of hardwiring the flat with Ethernet cables

I have checked out Netgears' site and they point out that the wifi stuff is slower, and there are securituy considerations that you simply dont have with ethernet routers, but have you guys tried playing games on broadband through wireless - and if so is it any good?

Cheers Cheesy
1 REPLY
N/A

I don't think your online games will suffer much. In my house I have an ethernet modem plugged into the BT wall socket and a wired/wireless combo router. This allows two computers near the router to be plugged in with ethernet and the one downstairs with wi-fi. Wi-fi is great if you have the use for it but if you can acheive the same effect with ethernet I would do that. As long as you have WEP set up, wi-fi isn't really a security problem. If your friends have wi-fi laptops they might bring to your house, wi-fi might be nice to have anyways. hope this helps.