cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one was better HL1 or HL2?

N/A

I'm really dissapointed with HL2. So much good was said about this game but for me it just didn't deliver. I much prefere the original HL.Without comparing the graphics HL had more interesting settings, more different creatures, more weapons and seem to be more of a challange.
15 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

I'm going to have to say Half Life 2. The physics engine is excellent, the story fabulous, the graphics awesome and the gravity gun is the best weapon from any game I've played Smiley
I'm really enjoying Half Life 2 Deathmatch as well. I only played HL1 single player so its fun to play against other people in the Half Life universe.

Come check out the Plusnet HL2: Team Deathmatch server;
212.159.6.226:27015 Cool
jberry
Grafter

Well...

I would say 2 mainly because it is the same game with nicer graphics and a massively improved engine. I really liked the one player game (even it it was a bit easy)

The main problem - it is the same game! I played CS:S a few times and it really is just counterstrike with slicker graphics. HL2 Death Match .. just the same old same old that people have been churning out for years.

What it really needs is for someone to take the obviously well written engine and actually write an original and interesting multiplayer game over the top of it. So far all that has happened is a lick of paint for games I stopped playing a couple of years ago because I was bored of them.

Just me 2p's worth (although I still voted yes).

Regards,
N/A

I don't want to compare graphics as HL2 is written on a different engine and is superior to HL1. Just comparing the storyline, action, weapons and enemies I found HL1 much more interesting.
N/A

as someone who got an xbox at xmas - even though I repeatedly told them not to because i'd never get any DIY done (how right i was) - I bought halo 2 immediately and was really disappointed. The story was great and the game was ok. It was all over too fast.

Recently got Halo - it is exactly the same except no dual wielding. The guns and vehicles are pretty much the same too! I would have been disappointed if I'd played Halo and then Halo 2.

(splinter cell - pandora tomorrow walks over both halos imho)

Edit - doh! wrong game!
N/A

HL2 was better in many ways, INCLUDING graphics obviously lol, but I just found it to be over a little too soon, and the ending was a bit of an anticlimax to the buildup through the game!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

HL2 is a case of don't break what isn't broken, but also don't fix long standing issues and add new ones.

No traction when running or jumping disances, so it Feels like you running or jump to or from an icey surface. That has been in HL since the begining but you would think after 5 years they could fix it.

Then there's the new physic's, best way to show how buggy it is. Find an area with water and breakable wood and have the broken bits of wood on the water, now swim through the middle of the wood and you will sometimes find that you get pushed at the same speed as the wood does by the water Upwards.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
MarkAngel
Grafter

Obviously the graphics are great etc, but I think the one thing that was missing was gameplay. It was just a basic straight path through the game, there are many interesting points along the way, but there needed to be alot more Puzzle's and tasks that needed thinking about.

I also felt the Driving sections of the game were a bit too overly lenghty.

Yes I did think the Ending was a massive anti-climax and did it first time, so it wasn't as if it was difficult, although when the exploson stopped in Time, I did think that was pretty good.

M
Bojangles
Grafter

It seems most people are comparing the two simply on the realism and power of it.

Looks don't just make a game!

Yes it adds more to the experience but the novelty soon grows on you.

The second half life was brilliant like the first however it was easier.

I think they're should of been more big monsters in the second one (not to say that i wasn't impressed with the thin headcrab zombies :shock: ) I found myself actually feeling genuinely scared from some of the earlier creatures.

Overall i loved them both, but the first one stuck in my mind the most as the victor.

Looking forward to the HL2 add-ons and HL3 ^_^
N/A

HL2 looks a bit nicer but ive enjoyed hl1 and its mods much much more.
I havnt played hl2 much since I finished it.

They took a lot of stuff out of hl2, it feels a bit rushed & unfinished. The levels have the same restricted linear layout, the textures arent much different to the old hl1 with the same low res & colour-banding here and there, they left out the nice HDR rendering they advertised for it, the AI is scripted when they said it wouldnt be & we didnt get the tech demo levels we saw in the clips, boooo Cheesy

btw where are the propper dx9 games, are there any yet?
N/A

Just to add, that although HL2 certainly looks better, I think that HL1 involved more puzzles etc to solve, and the game was very long. HL2 was over quicker, but I still loved it, although as someone pointed out before, maybe the driving bits could have been shorter. The Ravens.... (can't remember full title) area was particularly good though

Al
MarkAngel
Grafter

Driving crazy

One extra thing I will add is some of the versatility of the driving bit, there is a section where you need 3 batterys to power the electric doors to drive the buggy through, but a friend of mine could find the last battery, so he built a ramp and jumped over the Baracade!!!!!!! How ace is that!!

M
N/A

HL2 is a case of don't break what isn't broken, but also don't fix long standing issues and add new ones.

No traction when running or jumping disances, so it Feels like you running or jump to or from an icey surface. That has been in HL since the begining but you would think after 5 years they could fix it.

Then there's the new physic's, best way to show how buggy it is. Find an area with water and breakable wood and have the broken bits of wood on the water, now swim through the middle of the wood and you will sometimes find that you get pushed at the same speed as the wood does by the water Upwards.

I generally thought it was very good, I had far too much fun flinging bodies around with the grav gun or nailing people to the wall with the crossbow Smiley The glaring hole in the physics for me was with the crane. If you grab a container on a corner, it hangs as if it is held in the middle and does not drop (or hang near vertically in this case) as it should. It spoiled the illusion somewhat

HL1 was spoiled by an insanely difficult/irritating final level. I gave up on it. I thought HL2 ended well and set up HL3
N/A

HL1 imo tooke me a while to finish the game but i finished hl2 in 2 days of playing it and got really bored with it... the gfx in hl2 are amazing etc but i feel that the story was too short and stupid in some places
MarkAngel
Grafter

I'm really dissapointed with HL2. So much good was said about this game but for me it just didn't deliver. I much prefere the original HL.Without comparing the graphics HL had more interesting settings, more different creatures, more weapons and seem to be more of a challange.

I agree with this, the story was just too linear!