cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my ping time be on Xbox Live?

N/A

Hi All

I use my Xbox and 360 for playing live - since I moved house (and being without broadband for 3 months thanks to BT!) the broadband speed at the new location is poor - only 512 on a good day.

Additionally, I get a lot of boor connections, resulting in 'unable to connect' and lag. (Interestingly, some games handle this far better than others. Worms barely works at all, Halo2 is fine....)

As it is Xbox Live, I cannot directly ping the host server, so I have been using a PC to ping www.plus.net, assuming that a poor pint time to the plus.net web server would indicate a problem....

I get response rates in the 40ms range - can anyone tell me:

Is this the best server to ping to get an idea of response time for my broadband connection?
What should the ping time be?
Anything I can do to improve it?

This is running on a draytek router, all over wires. Generally, the PC is not in use when I an using the Xbox, and I dont have any peer to peer or any server capabilites.
7 REPLIES
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

I'm also unsure about what is a good ping and my Xbox live experience varies quite a bit these days. Some days I can connect no probs then other days it's more problematic, even stalling whilst connecting to Live from the dashboard. Connecting to games in Call Of Duty 3 can be frustrating at times and Gears Of War can be laggy too. Again, I'm unsure as i don't know if this is an issue with my connection alone or any of the others people playing at that time.

I've just pinged www.plus.net at 212.159.8.137 and got around 40 whilst pinging www.bbc.net.uk at 212.58.227.75 gave me 30.

A speedtest at www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk reveals a reasonable speed, enough I would expect for xbox live gaming.

Download Speed: 1410 kbps (176.3 KB/sec )
Upload Speed: 375 kbps (46.9 KB/sec )

P.S. Albedo: is worms worth getting? I've been thinking about getting it as I have fond memories of it on the Amiga & Dreamcast and I have a few spare points after getting the Bravo map pack for call of duty 3. It might be worms or sensible soccer. Would you recommend worms? (the game, that is Cheesy)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unless you know where the Host is and its IP no-one can tell you.

If the server is hosted in UK would expect 30-70ms for a FPS game, Western Europe slightly higher.

If USA they speed manage all external traffic so you will atleast see a 120ms too 200ms ping
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Thanks for the replies - one of the resons for using Xbox rather than using a PC for online gaming was the simplicity - not having to mess around with ping times.

At least I know my connection is not miles out.

As for Worms - cool game, very faithful to the original. The one-player stuff can be annoying - as per the Amiga version, the AI opponenents can so some ridiculous shots.

I really got it for multiplayer, but in almost every game, I get dropped after the game is launched but before it starts. I've only mananged to play one or two two-player games - if you try for more than two players, at least one will get dropped. I dont know if it is especially sensitive to network problems, or if the code was written badly.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Can you play multiplayer Worms on one machine, taking turns retro style or is it all based on online play?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

On all the more recent versions of worms I've played you've been able to do both, I'd be surprised if the 360 version was any different.

Hope this helps,
N/A

Anyone notice bad lag on Xbox Live recently? For the past week, especially on CoD3 it's been terrible.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Anyone notice bad lag on Xbox Live recently? For the past week, especially on CoD3 it's been terrible.

Does this affect other services (e.g. browsing on your computer)

Are you over your usage limit for the billing month?