cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes lag? p.s. low pings

Danglese
Grafter

What causes lag? p.s. I genarally get low pings.
I used to have M.E. no lag and perfect gameplay. Upgraded to X.P. loads of lag,
vitually unplayable. Play ut2004 -pretty bad, c.s. source -terrible, though when
spectating- no lag. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance..
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

PC resources will be the main thing with you using XP, a badly setup or over burdened pc doesnt help when gaming.

1. ME is built off win98se and has better memory management than XP. XP requires more ram installed by default, so if you have 256 or 348mb of ram then a upgrade will help. 512mb minimum 768 is good enough for most games but 1gig for the more demanding games like HL2/CS-Source.

2. Flashy graphics is what XP is bad for, so a fancy desktop with all the bells and whistles' blowing doesn't make for a good gaming pc as it steals vital ram from use which it doesn't always free up when another application like games are started.

Remove all backdrops
Disable all animated menu's
Disable all Audio cues

3. File indexing, which updates periodially all so affects gaming pc's, its best disabled for each HDD if not the background service stopped completely. In Explorer right click on the HDD icon/s / choose properties and untick Indexing it will ask if to remove from all sub directories and files choose Ok. That will take a few minutes to update so let it work away.

4. check that the networking MTU and Rwin is set correctly for you modem or PCI lan card/s and associated router
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I'm suffering from this problem as well ... will give adp450's suggestions a go cause CS:Source is lagging regularly at present.
N/A

Nice one ADP, gonna do them now!!
N/A

hey guys the advice is good but u should also try ridding your pc of any mal or adaware, there are lots of proggies for this purpose so get cleaning, dont forget to turn system restore off if using XP before u scan. :idea:
N/A

I still seem to be having issues with lag, I followed the advise above and iot does seem to have made a difference (esp changing the MTU). Does anyone have any more suggestions as I have no spyware or adware (checked with Search & Destroy, and AdAware.

Many thanks in advance.
jberry
Grafter

Make sure you are not simply ramping the settings up above what your graphics card can handle .. just try some lower settings.

Also, especially if you have an nVidia card, you should check that
a) you are not using the auful Windows XP driver (it installs it by default unless you overwrite it) or
b) using the latest official driver (get it from the manufacturers website) - especially on new games.

Regards,
N/A

Hi Josh,

I have used all the default settings that CS:Source recommends (I think it puts a * by them) and I have also just downloaded the most up-to-date drivers from nVidias site. It still hasn't made that much difference, I will try fiddling with the graphics settings, its strange as it nevers happens on HL2 only on online games.

Cheers again!
N/A

Still an issue :(

Didn't seem to make much difference, but I've juse noticed in the top right that it says 'WARNING: Connection problem' - and this always happens when I get the lag - I'm used to getting this occasionally but not every couple of mins. I'm on a 1Mb package and the connection tester gets around. General web-browsing, downloading etc are fine (get around 120Kb)

Another issue is that when I try and use the speed test (which worked the other day) it tries to download 0Kb file :S
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

The 0 readings on the speed tester are caused by Norton we think (or the ones we have seen so far are) and nothing to worrry about.

Of it is the connection then you just need to test whether the connection is having problems - and I dot necessaryily think that a speed test will pick it up as it is a snapshot and likely to be not at the same time as the problem.

Try using a program like WinMTR to run an extended ping and see if you get packet loss or similar over a longer period of time.

Regards,
N/A

Right I ran 2 tests (each of around 100 pings)

First one is to www.plus.net

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 100 | 100 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net - 0 | 100 | 100 | 15 | 16 | 32 | 16 |
| gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net - 0 | 100 | 100 | 15 | 16 | 32 | 16 |
| gi5-0-22.pth-gw2.plus.net - 0 | 99 | 99 | 15 | 16 | 32 | 16 |
| atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net - 0 | 99 | 99 | 16 | 35 | 266 | 32 |
| vlan18.pri.ptb-gw4.plus.net - 0 | 99 | 99 | 16 | 31 | 32 | 32 |
| if2.ptb-al1.plus.net - 0 | 99 | 99 | 16 | 31 | 32 | 32 |
| portal.plus.net - 0 | 99 | 99 | 16 | 31 | 32 | 32 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

Next one is to the PlusNet CS:Source server

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 104 | 104 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 15 | 15 | 31 | 15 |
| gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 15 | 16 | 32 | 16 |
| gi5-0-22.pth-gw2.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 15 | 15 | 16 | 16 |
| atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 31 | 44 | 297 | 31 |
| vl4.sec.ptb-gw3.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 31 | 31 | 32 | 31 |
| ptb-games05-if1.games.plus.net - 10 | 103 | 93 | 31 | 31 | 32 | 31 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

So it seems I am getting packloss from game servers only (its not just the PlusNet server I get lag off).
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Try disconnecting and re-connecting a few times until you are on one of the junipers (622Mb pipes). You can tell by tracerouting and looking at this hop:
lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net

If it says pth like this you are on the redbacks on 155Mb pipes. If it looks like this:
gi12-0-902.ptn-ag2.plus.net

Containing the ptn then you are on junipers.

This may help as we have an ongoing problems with the balancing across our various pipes from BT (documented in service status if you want further details).

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Josh, rebooted the router a few time and I am now on one of the Juniper pipes, I will give CS:Source a go and report back later.

Cheers for all your help!
Danglese
Grafter

From Danglese

Thanks for reply's
Tried quite a few things, found a tweak xp site, followed instructions and now get no lag at all.

Thanks again..
N/A

Seems to be working fine for me aswell - Fantastic! Cheers for all yer help