cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Hosting (for HL) on ADSL

N/A

Server Hosting (for HL) on ADSL

Im on F9 home ADSL, and im trying to get a server set up for counter-strike clan matches. We have a router providing my home network with internet connection. When i set up a server no-one on the internet can connect to it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something to do with IP translation? Anyone know how to get people to connect to my computers? No firewalls are in place when i have tried it.

Thanks
DJarv
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Server Hosting (for HL) on ADSL

> Im on F9 home ADSL, and im trying to get a server set up for counter-strike clan matches. We have a router providing my home network with internet connection. When i set up a server no-one on the internet can connect to it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something to do with IP translation? Anyone know how to get people to connect to my computers? No firewalls are in place when i have tried it.
>
> Thanks
> DJarv

If your router provides NAT (which it probably does) then this will stop anyone connecting to a computer behind the router, unless port redirection is set up. When the computers try to connect to your CS server they only contact the router, it then sends the information to the correct computer on the LAN. It doesn't know which computer is hosting the CS game, so it can't forward the information to (and from) that computer. You need to set up a port redirection to tell the computer to forward connections made to a specific port (or from a certain IP, I think) to a specific computer on the LAN. If your LAN has dynamically assigned IP addresses then you may need to manually assign an IP address to the CS hosting computer.
The port redirecting will vary from router to router so if you need help with that it would be a good idea to mention the make and model of your router.

I haven't actually done it myself, but from what I understand you will need to redirect your WAN IP to the IP of the CS host computer. You will also need to define which ports should be redirected (I'm not sure which ports counterstrike uses, but it shouldn't be hard to find out), then map these from the WAN IP to the LAN IP of the host computer.

I think this is correct, but I think Big Al or Ivan from the ADSL boards will be able to correct any error and give any further advice cuz they both seem to know their stuff.

Hope this helps.
N/A

RE: Server Hosting (for HL) on ADSL

Thanks, i got it working!