cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEAM plus.net Steam content server?

N/A

Now that steam is out, I think plus.net should host a content server, just for plus.net & force9 customers. What do you think, it could be a very good selling point of gamers wanting Hl2 etc Cheesy.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Only steam i know of is what comes out of a kettle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Steam is only avaliable when theres a Public beta test, so first come first served as it's always been, so no point. But if you mean hosting patches etc then there's plenty of 3rd party sites that do that job already.

So option 4. look elsewhere. As this is a ISP not a FTP host that gets hammered for a week or more when a new patch / demo comes out. the net is slow enough when HL/CS patches get released, but if PN hosted them it would be 10 times worse
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

After eventualy getting an answer from the Steam website, I have to say, the idea behind steam is superb.

However, I fail to see how +Net would benefit from this on a commercial scale.

Steam operates by the requests that go through it. It collects and stores the information people want, and serve it onwards. The more steam server available, the more locations to download from.

However, this means that a steam server becomes public. The benefit to the +Net userbase is obvious, however, providing this service would mean reproviding it to the public.

Could +Net justify that?
jberry
Grafter

Could +Net justify that?

In a word, no. I have thought about putting up the patches for some games at various points but never implemented it because of the impact on bandwidth (I would have to set up some comprehensive monitoring before I could do this as well as getting signoff at Director level).

If we ever did this I can guarentee that the patches would be IP restricted to our own customers as there is simply no value in us providing a public service. The companies that do this (fileshack etc) make money from the service they provide through having membership, advertising, selling patches on CD and various other things - none of which we would be able to take advantage of.

Regards,
N/A

But blueyonder has 124 games servers, and a huge file mirror. So why cant/wont you do the same? Or at least a little?
N/A

well, i know u host a few game servers, 9 in all. Blueyonder does rentable server services and more. And there not gamer orientated either.
N/A

basicly plus.net would be throwing money down the toliet as they don't do rentable server like borked yonder or jolt and having a steam server would not make them money.
IMO you guys should do rentables as it won't really be much of a change of direction from what your doing now and you do have the bandwidth to handle it.
plus the extra income wouldn't go amiss Cheesy