Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rome total war - Help plz

jabb0
Grafter

hey guys,

bought this game since it was knocked down to 20 squid and was playing it quite happily for a few days there until this evening when when the 3d graphicy bits when all mad with diagonal streaky lines from one end of the screen to the other in one of those sequences that would send you into a fit before very long!!! Sad Sad Sad

I have tried the following :
- Download patches, and install as readme specifies
- Run virus scan & cleaned 13 of the lil critters

and am currently doing a defrag just for the hell of it which is taking a while then im gonna restart this beast..

I am also thinking the following maybe a problem
- heat
- drivers
- gremlins

so given that it was working perfectly and nothing has been installed or changed by any human hand at my keyboard, except for me playing Need For Speed MW which was installed prior to Rome TW, do you think i might have missed something after i try all this.

just thought id ask while im waitin on this defrg. :?

cheers
17 REPLIES
N/A

Hmmm maybe try installing the latest version of your graphics card drivers. If that doesn't work it might be worth reseating the card.....just ideas!
jabb0
Grafter

cheers will do,

how do i "reset" the card? never heard of that one.

got it working last night, or so i thought, till it has just happened today again, maybe it just neds a while to get warmed up :? i dont think slapping it on the side is gonna help much either, cos honestly at this minute in time i think its gremlins Evil
N/A

First of all how old is the card, and make/model will help as well please mate.

Getting the latest drivers doesnt always help things, in fact some companies have gone as far as to say DONT download this driver unless you are suffering the following problems YADAYADA..

reSEATing the card, not sure about that one, you could try it I suppose, I think he means pull it out of the socket and put it back in...unless you have knocked or dropped the machine I shouldnt think it could come loose anyway.

Is it just Total War or is it on NFS also?? if its a general fault, try giving any or all cooling fans a bit of a clean, any filters you have. Also what type or how old is your monitor, just another thought it could be something with that also?
jabb0
Grafter

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb
Tis a bit of a beast with a artcic silent cooler thingy on it - the cooler is near bigger than the card. got 3 internal fans hooked up to a controller and cranking that up dont solve it, so its not heat - thing defo aint loose, cos no one has been back there in yonks - unless as i first though it is gremlins.

Its a real annoyance, but reinstalling my grafix drivers works as a one shot soluion - which means reinstalling them before every game, its crap yes, but it works, and will do untill i can afford that double barrelled shotgun to persuade the gremlins to leave.

If you think you have a better idea than gremlins please dont hesitate to post.

ill undress her now and make sure the grafix card is well seated, if you dont hear from me again u can assume that
1) i found the gremlin
2) i still didnt have the cash for the shotgun

peace out
N/A

I know about ATI's "All in Wonder" drivers, and some are more unstable than others, try getting an earlier version, the latest one released on the 9th Feb, may not be the best one, when I download them I tend to read carefully if they fix anything, or advise download ONLY to fix something.

Which version do you have, and can you get hold of an earlier version, maybe on the cd that came with the card? With these drivers you HAVE to make sure you un-install them properly before installing a new one.

Did ask, is it just RTW thats breaking down, or is it all your games? if its just RTW, then it could be a compatibility problem between that and your version of the drivers which sounds likely
jabb0
Grafter

Shockedops: In trying to fix this ive broke windoze!!! Sad
I tried system restoring to before the problem, ill not do that again.

well i guess my drivers will be well and truely uninstalled after the reinstall - ill go with the ones on the cdrom that came with the card.

for future reference tho, if the system hadnt of crashed, how would i make sure the drivers are definitly removed?

jees - I only use windoze to play games and i cant even trust it to do that without rolling over and dying Evil

cheers
N/A

your best bet is to go through the windows uninstaller, you need to use the ATI uninstall utility in the ADD/REMOVE programs interface, then restart the pc, go BACK into it, check if there are any more ATI entries in add/remove, remove them, again you may need to restart. And Bobs your fathers brother!! you should be left with standard PnP drivers to install your cdrom based driver from
jabb0
Grafter

cheers tried older drivers but have the exact same problem.

It happens to varying degrees after every restart - and only in this game cos need for speed MW runs a treat.

I am perplexed, any other ideas guys?
N/A

Please forgive me if I sound stupid in saying it, have you tried an uninstall on the game itself, or maybe changing the graphics settings in game
jabb0
Grafter

Yeah mucked about wth the ingame graphic settings - there are sooo may tho!!!
reinstaled the game 4 times in total - have reinstalled windoze once and counting.

If i start the game and its bad, then quit out to the desktop and start again its just as bad - however if i restart the whole PC and play the game again, there seems to be be a 1 in a million chance it will run ok, which the is the method i am currently employing.

I wouldnt usuallu go to this much bother, but dam RTW is such a good game its almost worth it.
N/A

dodgy grapics

sounds similar to a problem I had with a pc last year. after going over every possible scenario, literally days and days of trying this and that I looked into hardware. turned out that the fan on the grapics card was kapput, when the grapics card got warmed up bit the graphics went up the wall. worth a look!!!
jabb0
Grafter

cheers dude.
But this has all myseriously stopped happening (scrambles to find a bit of wood to touch).

Now the only thing, i did was to change my PSU when it mysteriously BLEW UP (smoke n all) - oh and this happened just after i logged on and as I was having a pee, like it was on the desktop not playing any games pushing any limits.

Still holding this piece of wood, i hope that it all stays OK.

cheers guys
N/A

cheers dude.
But this has all myseriously stopped happening (scrambles to find a bit of wood to touch).

Now the only thing, i did was to change my PSU when it mysteriously BLEW UP (smoke n all) - oh and this happened just after i logged on and as I was having a pee, like it was on the desktop not playing any games pushing any limits.

Still holding this piece of wood, i hope that it all stays OK.

cheers guys

Two ideas:

1. Your new PSU can't supply enough power to the graphics card (My previous ATI9800 needed a power cable attached). If your previous PSU was 550w and you've bought a 300w one, there could be problems.
2. Your PSU blowing up broke your graphics card
N/A

And another thing.. this actually happened to my Ati9800 Pro (although it was for everything graphical intensive) and it was due to the fan coming loose and requiring new thermal paste. In the end, I binned the card and get a new nvidia one as it was much less hassle.