cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Alert on XP

penneck
Rising Star

Red Alert on XP

I'm trying to install an old pc game called "Red Alert" on a pc which uses Windows XP. It installs perfectly happily on another lower spec pc with Windows 98, but unfortunately, I am unable to make that machine available long term. On the XP machine, "Install" just sits there doing who knows what. I've tried using Task Manager to monitor what is going on, but it shows no processes running and microprocessor activity is only about 5%.

Red Alert opens the top level view which shows the "Install" button, but when I click on it, the egg timer appears for a few seconds, and then nothing seems to happen.

I have gone through all the setup, install and autorun files, selecting "Properties" and setting them to use "Windows 95", but it makes no difference, when I go back to run Install.

When I give up, and remove the CD, still nothing happens, but eventually, when I try to shut the pc down, it complains that the disk is missing from the disk drive. Between those two events, the pc does anything I want to do without complaint. It is almost like for that process only, the pc speed goes to snails pace, whilst everythingelse runs at express speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please.

TIA

Graham
7 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

Red Alert on XP

Try setting your screen resolution as low as you can & then retry the install, this often works for Win 95 era progs,
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Red Alert on XP

Hi,

I'm sure I had a similar problem with Red Alert, still the best of the Command and Conquer games. If I remember, there's a patch you need to make it install. Have you tried this?

http://www.cncnz.com/features/tech/rapatch108pe.php
Community Veteran

Red Alert on XP

Try the compatibility option on the setup.exe prog on the CD and set it to win98 and see if that gets you going - right click on the setup icon and go to the compatibility tab. Then patch it so it works on XP proper.
penneck
Rising Star

Red Alert on XP

I haven't tried the screen resolution, but I have tried a variation on setting the Property to be compatible with win98 (in my case, I set it to win 95 - see my original post). I have the patch 108 thing, but I understood you have to install then use the patch. However, if that is incorrect, please explain how to use it. At the moment, installing doesn't even create the C:\Westwood\Red Alert (or should that be RA?) directory leave alone put anything into it, so I'm not sure how the patch would affect the installation process.

However, my thanks to you all for your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on. In the meantime, please don't stop sending them, or explanations, etc.

Regards

Graham
N/A

Red Alert on XP

have you thought about getting the first decade?
vic_newey
Grafter

Red Alert on XP

Did you try the lower resolution? doubt if you can go lower than 800X600 with XP but it works for me as I just tried it with red alert demo on an old PC gamer disk
penneck
Rising Star

Red Alert on XP

Sorry for the delay in replying - have been away since Monday on a course.

I tried reducing the resolution, but unfortunately it didn't have the desired effect.

I think I'll have to give up on this.

My thanks to all for your help.