cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake III dedicated server (slower machine)

N/A

I have recently configured my LAN to play a Listening Server game of Quake III. The listening server is hosted on the same machine as I'm playing it on.

The next step is to migrate this to a Dedicated Server so I can play with my mates down the road. The only problem is that the laptop the game is to be hosted on is a P233 with 32MB and when the server.bat file (executing th server.cfg file) stops as it cannot load the OpenGL. Clearly this laptop doesn't have OpenGL.

My simple question. Is there any way around thisHuh Using one of the other LAN machines as the server is NOT an option Smiley

Any help would be a miracle as I can't appear to find out anything!!!

Please can you mail a solution to patrick@smallgreencar.co.uk

Many thanks
PB
10 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Why not set up the server under linux on the laptop? Even if it required OpenGL there (which seems really stupid for a server, but from glancing at the linux server docs it doesn't mention OpenGL as a requirement) then you can use the software rendering MESA libraries to give all the support it needs. Or is that too much bother for you?
I'm always willing to help people install and configure Gentoo via SSH if you have any problems.

Good luck! Smiley
N/A

Hi

Your 'dedicated' server needs little in the way of graphics, only a console pops up, if you see the full game launch when you start your server it is not set to dedicated.

Have run both types at the same time on my dual pentium III with mixed success.

regards
N/A

Not yet sorted

Thanks of rhte advice.
Linux is getting there and will be sorted when I can figure out mounting Smiley

I have changed the batch file and server.cfg to say +set dedicated 2 yet still it fails and says cannot load OpenGL subsystem.

I've updated the video drivers and Directx but to no avail.

Any more ideas?
Thanks
PB
shellsong
Grafter

Mounting isn't too complex a topic,
typing a command such as mount /dev/hda1 /mydisk would mount the first partition on your first hard disk to the mount point mydisk.
Mount points make the whole file system look like one large drive, so while it may appear that mydisk is just another directory on your main partition it might really be a totally different drive altogether Smiley.
/dev is the directory where all device references are stored, hda is the first hard drive, hdb the second, etc. hda1 is the first partition on the first hard drive, hda2 is the second partition on the first hard drive, likewise hdb1 is the first partition on the second hard drive. See? Nothing too it Wink
You can check up on your partitions in linux by running fdisk /dev/hda (for the first hard disk) then typing p
This will give you out put like:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 6543 52556616 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 6545 6608 514080 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda3 6609 7474 6956145 83 Linux

So you can see what file system each partition is and the size of it. I hope this helps you a little Smiley
N/A

Nearly got it

Only me again.
So another night spent trying to get a server published on the Q3 list.

Have altered the server.cfg and serverctf.bat file.
The laptop now runs the console only and there are hardly eny error messages.
Still can't load autoexec.cfg but that's no problem.
Now I have opened the ports on the router as supplied by PLusNet and redirecte traffic from port 27960 to 192.168.200.1 (which is the laptop server).
The server was seen under local bu NOT Internet.
Then changed the net_ip of the server to the IP external IP address of my router......
Ran the console and there were loads of warnings about resolving <router IP addy>:27950 through to 29760.
So the server works locally and there are no major problems with the dedicated server machine.
My mate has been trying other methods to get a server published but we have had no success, although it appears we are getting closer.
I can post the batch and cfg file(s) if necessary but would rather dig up a solution.
Cheers
P
N/A

you wont see your server advertised from inside your lan- get a friend with a different connection to check it for you!
N/A

He can't see it either.
Thanks for clarifying that I won't see it advertised (assuming that's why it was 'broadcast' as Local.

Could it be that my LAN's version of the game is the bog-standard Q3 with no add-ons, upgrades or patchesHuh
N/A

Have you put a "heartbeat" command in your config fileHuh
ie.

// server.cfg (using server.cfg for example)
sv_maxclients 8
sv_hostname "whatever"
sv_maxrate 8000
g_gametype 0 // ffa
timelimit 15
fraglimit 0
g_weaponrespawn 3
set d1 "heartbeat ; map q3dm1 ; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "heartbeat ; map q3dm2 ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "heartbeat ; map q3dm3 ; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d1 // this last command will start the map and maploop
// end of config

now save your new config file in /baseq3 and to play and have people connect to you just run q3, and execute your config: /exec server.cfg
the map will start and automatically report your server to the master list (due to the heartbeat command). if you want to report to the master server more often you can always bind a key to "heartbeat" and hit it every so often. this all seems simple but works pretty well.
N/A

Cheers for that, trying it as we speak (well, my mate is)

I notice last night that in the console it says
sending heartbeat to server

Does this mean it's already doing what it's supposed to?
N/A

Now working

To all those that offered support, thanks. It's now working and is on almost every day, in the evening more than anything else.

IP is 212.159.117.240 Smiley

Cheers