cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with creating servers in Half life

N/A

hi i have a huge problem with makin server in half life, i create i go in the game but to everyone else it shows as not responding.. i hjave forwarded port 27015 through my router and im using dedicated server so it is running through that port but no one can join... on my dedicated server it shows my ip as 10.0.0.7 but thats becuase its on my router sureley? and when i try through my ip it just wont respond and no one else can join, pls help!!!
8 REPLIES
N/A

I have xacltly the same problem with halo. sorry i cant help, but i do know it can be solved
N/A

hosting

:shock: can i just ask, ru both trying to host over a 512k adsl connection? if so forget it, its not going to play ball.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

There is no problem at all running a HL server on a 512K connection - you will just be limited on the amount of people that you can have on at once.

You could try specifying the IP address of the server in the start up line for the server (I can't remember exactly how in HL I am afraid) since it may be that your server is trying to run on the internal IP address.

Regards,
N/A

hosting on ADSL

how did u get a job, u CANT host over 512k ADSL, unless u want to play alone, this is a well known fact. 1. golden rule no1. dont host over a broadband connection. its not fast enough, even cable bb is to slow, five players playing on broadband wil have 51k each to play with, same as dialup. on LAN those same five players will have20,000k each, get my drift man i think the admins should read up before giving out wrong answers.
jberry
Grafter

Well,

I have run a 6 person server on my Cable (same upload) and as long as I was not using my connection for anything else it worked fine. You just need to set the max rate to a lower value so that the individual clients don't use too much bandwidth.

Have you tried running a server yourself before you say its not possible?

Regards,
Firejack
Grafter

I don't host a server on my home connection anymore. But in the passed I've hosted a C&C Renegade server for 10 people and a Mechwarrior with 16 people. So its perfectly possible.

I also used to play Unreal Tournament 2K3 on a server a friend hosted on his 512/256Kb ADSL connection. We had 8 on it without problems.

As for a Half Life server. I remember once playing about with TFC. There was a list of ports to forward.... UDP and TCP ones.
A quick scout around Google turned up this. :arrow:
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~hlpd/index.pl/Game_Ports
Definately seems to be what you are looking for. Remember you will need forward these ports on your Router as well as open them on your Firewall. Be that Firewall a hardware one in your router, a network firewall, the crappy windows XP one or some slightly less crappy software firewall.

Hope that help Smiley

Edit: Don't be put off that Half Life ports page where it says "protected linux installs" the ports are the same on Windows and Linux.
N/A

runing server

Sad yes ive tried in vain to run a server over broaband it does work with a couple of players but the lag is unbearable, wot good is a server for 5 or 6 players.?
Firejack
Grafter

Yes it all depends on the game you are playing though. 5 or 6 friends on any game is worthwhile in my opinion. Much more fun stomping your friends then some strangers Wink

The lag is caused due to bandwidth limitations. Some games have very good net code and allow for lots of players to connect to a server with a fairly modest connection. Mechwarrior 4 was one such game. It had a very clever way of compressing the information down so that each player needed only 2 KByte of data to be sent to them each second. Very impressive.

However there are gaming protocals like those in Half Life and particularly Unreal Tournament 2003 that are obsessed with trying to send data as fast as possible over the TCP protocal. TCP was never meant for speed it was meant for accuracy and completion. Unlike UDP which just throws data at a computer as fast as possible not caring if it gets there or not.
So to make TCP fast. Games like UT2K3 simply send fairly large chunks of uncompressed data to the client machines from the server. This eats bandwidth but keeps the pings down.
UT2k3 will always chew a large amount of bandwidth, more then it needs as the UT2K3 community is obsessed with low pings. Crazy if you ask me. The cost for these low pings is high bandwidth usage which is very expensive.