Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to online games - NAT Table Issue

N/A

Hi,

I have the following problem.

If I load up CounterStrike or BattleField 2 and refresh the list of available servers it will get to around 1000 servers and then stop refreshing even though there are a lot more servers.

I know the problem is caused by my NAT table being filled up as it has a limit of 1024 entries (Its a Zyxel 662HW-61). When this happens my Internet connection dies for approx 3 minutes.

I need to try figure out the best way to get around the problem, I can't imagine Im the only person using a router and doing large server refreshes.

Any of you had this problem and figured out away around it ?

I know I could fix the problem by setting up ipcop on a standalone PC and using that as my net connection but I dont really want to have yet another PC running 24/7.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Gazz
5 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

I think you have mixed your terminology there... NAT is Network Address Translation and happens on your side of the Router and relates to how many PC's on your router can use 1 single Internet IP address.

So this isn't the problem that you have...

Have you tried Flashing the router to the lastest firmware, I've use the Zyxel modems before and they are a bit of a bind to flash, but have a look at http://www.zyxel.com/support/supportnote/P662HW/index_f.php and see if you can find anything of interest.

Good luck

M
N/A

Yup updated to the latest firmware.

Im aware of what NAT does and how it works. :roll:

When each of those PC's on my side of the network goes out to the Internet the router needs to remeber which PC requested what. When the reply comes back to my router. The router then has a look in its NAT table to see where this packet of information is going inside the network.

Its not really NAT its PAT as I only have a single static ip address on the Internet.

Anyway when i do a server refresh as Im querying so many servers the NAT table fills up on the router because it needs to remeber each of those queries I sent out to be able to route them back inside onto my network.

Im think im going to have to setup an IPCop box to get around this, I could use ASE to limit the amount of queries I do but they've scrapped the lifetime registration and I dont fancy subscribing to it yearly. :shock:

Thanks anyway though Cheesy

Gareth.
MarkAngel
Grafter

I think you will find that your PC isnt communicating directly to all those hosting servers, that is what Steam and the like is for... :roll: If

It is a central repository of currently connected servers running the game. Your PC is only making one (or few) connection(s) to the master server list(s) and isn't speaking to every server out there, that would be just too much for any router/Internet connection/PC to handle :!:

NAT and PAT are only something to consider if you have many many PC's/Devices on your home IP network

M
N/A

I was under the impression (maybe wrong) that yes you got the master server list from steam or a 'master Battle Field 2 server' but after you got this list then its up to you to query the server.

Same kinda thing happened for Quake 2 you set your server to send out a heartbeat which registers with the Master Server list you then obtain a list of available servers. You then query this list of servers and get the results back of ping time, map, players etc ....

I can't imagine how a ping request to a specific server would be routed through the steam network when your specifying an individual IP address if you see what I mean ?

Anyway I have logged onto the console on my router and had a look at the number of NAT table entries before I do a server refresh which was about 10-15 and then after which was the maxium of 1024 so I know its filling up Wink

I was just kind of hoping someone else had the same problem and there was something silly I was missing :roll:

What kind of setup do you have M ?

Gareth
N/A

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the same problem as you.

Using a zoom X6 wireless router.
Firstly I tried using ASE, and straight away it didn't seem to be retrieving a server list. I then noticed my internet had stopped. Seemed trying to use ASE to obtain a server list borks my router, turning the router off and on is the only way to get the internet back.

Next I tried gamespy arcade, and at first it seemed to work, a large list of servers begun to appear before.. suddenly stopping, at around 1000. Yet again my internet stopped, and the router had to be turned off and on.

I thought it might be norton doing something, but disabling that still gave the same results.

I'm pretty sucky with networks, so I really have no clue how to fix this but I just thought I'd let you know someone else is suffering from it too.