cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Service for Gamers

N/A

Poor Service for Gamers

I've had enough. After months of trying to get this sorted out I still get bad pings on ventrilo, frequent disconnects from XFire and the lag is so bad on Company of Heroes that I have given up trying to play online.

Does anyone know the best way to get my MAC code?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Poor Service for Gamers

Community Veteran

Poor Service for Gamers

One of my colleagues has replied to your current ticket requesting further information.

Unless you are running your gaming on non standard ports you should not be seeing any problems caused by our network.

We are happy to work with you and get this one resolved and the info requested will help greatly pin down the cause.

With regards to months of trying to get this sorted out. We have been keen to resolve this for you, but each of your previous tickets were closed after 14 days of inactivity as you didnt respond to our queries. As I said above. we will work with you to get this sorted, but we also need you to work with us. Smiley

Look forward to seeing your reply to this ticket and hopefully we'll mange to get the problem resolved once and for all.
bikepump
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

just to say, in PN's defence, i am an avid gamer, played BF2, BF2:SF and now BF2142 with teamspeak for over a year using both BB+ to begin with and now Premier option 1. I have never had any ping problems (ever) and the only problem i have ever had was with ts though i'm not sure what caused that and it's fixed now anyways Cheesy

i have however been experiencing frequent disconnects with xfire. i see on this forum others have the same issues with xfire.
rodmc
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

One of my colleagues has replied to your current ticket requesting further information.

Unless you are running your gaming on non standard ports you should not be seeing any problems caused by our network.

We are happy to work with you and get this one resolved and the info requested will help greatly pin down the cause.

With regards to months of trying to get this sorted out. We have been keen to resolve this for you, but each of your previous tickets were closed after 14 days of inactivity as you didnt respond to our queries. As I said above. we will work with you to get this sorted, but we also need you to work with us. Smiley

Look forward to seeing your reply to this ticket and hopefully we'll mange to get the problem resolved once and for all.

haha, very good.

Plus.net is failing in all areas, take a look at the CGI servers for example, how longs that problem been goin on now eh, since november and you cant really dispute that as all you need to do is look at the number of gripes about it on the web space forum and look at the dates of the posts. How long does it really take to order and recieve and install new disk arrarys? not as long as plus.net are making out it is.

I used to game on plus.net but got sick of the high pings, laughable. (and FYI I'm about 200 yards from the local exchange)

The place WILL go down the tubes unless plus.net act, you cant afford to continually piss off your customers in the broadband market these days.

Would I be right in saying BT now own Plus.net, if so I see a clearance of uselass staff before long.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

Same here. I play BF2142, CS and BF2. My pings are always stable and low normally around 20ms for UK servers on peak or off peak. I also play on line poker which works without problem as well.

I have used Plusnets support staff and they have been helpful. They cannot help you unless you provide them with the information they ask for. Just ranting and demanding it is fixed will stop you resolving your problem.
Liam
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

haha, very good.

Plus.net is failing in all areas, take a look at the CGI servers for example, how longs that problem been goin on now eh, since november and you cant really dispute that as all you need to do is look at the number of gripes about it on the web space forum and look at the dates of the posts. How long does it really take to order and recieve and install new disk arrarys? not as long as plus.net are making out it is.

Firstly, may I ask what that has got to do with this thread and the Gaming Forum?

The original kit that we ordered to replace the CGI storage arrived incorrect 2 weeks ago. We have since gone directly to NetApp and ordered 2 of the FAS270s to overhaul the storage on our CGI platform.

Unfortunately, this kind of kit does come with quite a lead time, though we have expedited it and expect to receive the new storage within the next week or so.

From there we need to formulate a structured plan to migrate the data across. It's not something we're willing to do willy-nilly. We've learnt from mistakes in the past that these things require the most thorough planning and testing before rolling live to users.

I used to game on plus.net but got sick of the high pings, laughable. (and FYI I'm about 200 yards from the local exchange)

We would happily look into this for you, but looking at your account history I cannot see that you have ever raised this with us.

Would I be right in saying BT now own Plus.net, if so I see a clearance of uselass staff before long.

Correct, we are now owned by BT Retail. And if you don't mind me saying, I think we're all very good at our jobs.
bikepump
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

OK seriously though have you not thought it could be you and your router/modem/PC/setup? It's pretty unfair you jump the gun and put the blame on PN's shoulders in my opinion. just look at this entire forum, the mods/staff know what they're doing and want to help. perhaps if you let them do their job, your problems may be solved. :?
N/A

Poor Service for Gamers

In my experience, gaming with PlusNet is pretty damn good considering all of their customers. I've never had bad ping, except when its my own fault, downloading from HTTP etc. Pitty their Peaktime P2P speeds will not go above 40KB/s, if it went at atleast 100KB/s on Peak i'd think about staying then. No problem with Offpeak by the way, and i congratulate you on that PlusNet. Only problem i ever get really is about 1 or 2 random disconnects a day. But overall yeah PlusNet are improving, just a shame about the Peaktime torrent speeds.
N/A

Poor Service for Gamers

Thanks Mark,

I've been away over Easter so I'll try the things you suggested. This post is not a dig at the plusnet staff (who are very helpful) but at the way that the network is restricted. The reason that I didn't reply to previous tickets before the 14 day expiry is that I either didn't have time or the problem was solved at that point. The problem I have at the moment is with frequent disconnects from Xfire, ping problems with ventrilo (its useable at the moment but on occasion can lag very badly) and connection/lag issues with Company of Heroes. With the latter problem both myself and my brother (who is also with Plusnet) have issues connecting with other players and frequently cause the game to lag. This is connecting to Relic's COH servers.

To be honest I would rather pay a bit more for a service that wasn't restricted in any way and didn't involve me having to notify you, for example, that our ventrilo provider uses a non standard port so that I can get the thing working. In a clan of over 40 players only me and my brother have this problem so other ISPs seem to manage without overly restricting the users?
rodmc
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

Firstly, may I ask what that has got to do with this thread and the Gaming Forum?

It seems plus.net customers on both boards are irate and disgruntled. I would say that was a common denominator.

The original kit that we ordered to replace the CGI storage arrived incorrect 2 weeks ago. We have since gone directly to NetApp and ordered 2 of the FAS270s to overhaul the storage on our CGI platform.

Unfortunately, this kind of kit does come with quite a lead time, though we have expedited it and expect to receive the new storage within the next week or so.

From there we need to formulate a structured plan to migrate the data across. It's not something we're willing to do willy-nilly. We've learnt from mistakes in the past that these things require the most thorough planning and testing before rolling live to users.

I work for a national organisation which is vasty underfunded and undermanned, my job is providing suppot for a national database. We have had to replace disk arrays on many ocasions after failures,none of which have taken the time is has taken plus.net to resovle this issue.

We would happily look into this for you, but looking at your account history I cannot see that you have ever raised this with us.

some plus.net employee's are superb at their job others are obviously not. I had a problem with implementing htaccess on my site. I gave up after I was given the runaround. Implementing it was no problem getting it to work was a different matetr and a plus.net supprt person agreed he could not get it to work either.
TBH Ive had better help from other plus.net customers.

Correct, we are now owned by BT Retail. And if you don't mind me saying, I think we're all very good at our jobs.

BT also had something to say on the matter: "With immediate effect, both Lee Strafford and Neil Comer have left PlusNet." Neil Comer was the finance director.

I would say all is not well.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Poor Service for Gamers

Same here. I play BF2142, CS and BF2. My pings are always stable and low normally around 20ms for UK servers on peak or off peak. I also play on line poker which works without problem as well.

I have used Plusnets support staff and they have been helpful. They cannot help you unless you provide them with the information they ask for. Just ranting and demanding it is fixed will stop you resolving your problem.

I'll stick my hand up here too, been with PN for 3 years, always have good pings for BF series, EVE Online and COD series, I have my router properly configured for all the ports my games require and X-fire/Teamspeak/Ventrilo.

A number factors contribute to what kind of connection you get with game servers, and not all of them are in PN's control (or yours for that matter).