cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet game servers

N/A

Plusnet game servers

Will plusnet be offering game servers to rent anytime in the future?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Plusnet game servers

Doubt it, replies to that question before where "We are a ISP not a gaming provider". Some ISP's have tried to make a gaming service and failed, as its a big drain on cash resources and man/woman/it aka admin hours monitoring them. So who does the job?

But wouldn't mind if they did, as I run a server for a rival ISP atm, which to be honest is a failed gaming service due to lack of Use by its paying customers, as most of its active servers are the public access servers and even on them there are no active admins except for mine and one other.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Plusnet game servers

I dont think PlusNet are in any rush to invest tons of money and equipment in the gaming community. But I'd like to see it happen at some point in the future. There are several ISP's that run successful gaming services - jolt being a good example. Most people benchmark pings against their servers and it gets Nildram alot of gaming customers.
N/A

Plusnet game servers

Indeed, however Jolt's primary business is gaming, with there Broadband package being an afterthought (also just a resold vISP product).

Whereas it is the oposite way around for PlusNet.

The other thing is that these gaming companies are very established now. It is very hard to build onto existing industries in technology and services these days. It would certainly take a lot of resources and effort away from the ISP side to help establish it.
Firejack
Grafter

Plusnet game servers

Another point against Plusnet expanding their game services is the games hosted by the likes of Jolt are a dying breed of game. Online gaming is going in one very singlur direction. The increased demand in Massive Multiplayer Online Games is huge. MMOG is growing faster then any other genre. Who wants to play on a 64 man UT2K4 server when you can play on a 1000 man Planetside server? :roll:
No ISP or gaming provider such as Jolt will be able to complete with MMOG companies as they simply couldn't afford to put up the £1,000,000 to build a MMOG server cluster.

I still think offering Plusnet game servers is worth while. There are still going to be some great games over the next year to 18 months such as Doom 3 and Half Life 2 that will be great to play on the Plusnet game servers.