cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation 2 Network adaptor & Solwise SAR 110

N/A

I read further down the list about someone on the PS2 network trials and having no probs using ICS - however I want to run my PS2 directly through the router.

I've got it to connect by giving it a fixed IP address on the same subnet as the router. The PPPoE is using the username and password built into the router.

The PS2 passes all the internal setup disk tests (you can see a trace route report - 22ping - nice!) however once it complete that stage and attempts to go on the net and connect to the Sony central station it gives an unable to connect message (the traffic on the router stops too judging by the lights)

Thinking it might be a prob with Sonys server I booted up the Twisted Metal Black game and got that to register my user online - I can see internet games but it fails when I try to join them, saying connection problems (you can see traffic though).

I've been through the PS2 network FAQ and it mentions NAT and firewalls but not how they need to be set (I've got NAT enabled and the Firewall off which I'd have thought was right).

So...anyone seen anything like this before and can give me a hand?
ta
7 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Your router needs to be instructed to 'forward' any packets it receives on TCP ports 10070-10080 to your PS2's internal network address

Have you done this on your router? I don't actually own a PS2 but it seems like this may be the problem (since you are connected to the internet but the masterserver cannot "talk" to your PS2).

Regards,
N/A

OK can you give me some tips on how to do this. I've read around the net for similar problems and the answer seems to be either switch on DMZ or port forwarding like you mention.

I've messed around with NAT rules (guessing it was either the RDR rule or the BIMAP rule) - using the RDR rule I have been able to get through to the Sony Central Station but the game still refused to work.

Is this "Port Forwarding"? Or has that to do with IP Filters and what you set to allow through?

Can you give me some instructions on how to do it (I've downloaded and waded through the Solwise router "quick" setup and I'm none the wiser really).

Cheers
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

If you are having problem with the router and getting port forwarding to work I would recomend asking on the forums at Solwise as advanced configuration falls outside of our support remit.

Regards,
N/A

OK Josh fair enough,

I have managed to battle my way through and sort it - here's whats required for future reference or in case anyone else finds this thread.

Started off allowing DMZ host - seems to work for most peeps but not in my case.
Next is port forwarding - again this seems to work for some peeps but not for me.
I then used http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/ which helped a lot in setting up ZIPB which enables 1 IP to use your external public address - essentially using the router as a modem. Other machine on your internal network can still use NAT without problems. See the guide for how to do this.

With that all set I could prove it worked by changing a PC between static and DHCP addressing and doing a traceroute. Now my playstation worked using ICS with the PC set to use DHCP but I wanted to get it working direct through the router and setting the playstation to DHCP failed to pass the DNS test - the IP would be set to the public address of the router but it couldn't get out onto the net.

Finally worked through it though - these are what the playstation needs setting to:-
Network type - Auto detect
DHCP - No
Ip address - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx public router address
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
gateway - 192.168.7.1 (or whatever the private router address is)
Auto DNS - No
DNS - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx normal DNS addresses

Hope this proves useful to someone.
Wonnahs
N/A

Wow

I was off to but the network adapter today and then i saw this. I am now gogin to borrow a mates and see if i can get it to work before forking out my £100 on the adapter and games. Thanks wonnahs i will try your set up :p
N/A

Don't let this put you off - SOCOM is brilliant.

I have heard since that Twisted Metal is more tricky to get running than other games, maybe because it isn't server based like SOCOM. It was the only game I had at the time unfortunately.

Still glad my info came in handy, any probs with the setup just let me know.
N/A

i have the same problem i cnt seem 2 access central station i dont know why this is i will try to use socom to access the network 2mo