cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing online with Plus Net

N/A

So folks, is plus net a reliable provider to play an Xbox 360 online?

Thought id ask before buying one

Cheers

Neil
36 REPLIES
aeroalfie
Grafter

If you call a in game ping of 999 reliable.

Simple fact is Plusnet don't care about any online gaming - & haven't for quite a while now.

But the xbox360 is great, really don't let PN be the deciding factor in getting one or not - what you should do is, get a 360 and a new ISP Wink
GersFans
Grafter

Having many gaming problems myself with plusnet I would be unwilling to recommend them. Sorry.
Slick
Grafter

totally diffrent here,
when i had trouble i done tracerts and sent the screenshot to them thro the ticket system and all sorted.
my ingame ping for the pc is now 15-25 max
thumbs up here
but to buy a xbox pffff
N/A

Gaming has been poor for months with PN....and Xbox owners have been reporting loads of problems recently.
It's the number 1 reason im leaving. Lag is rife on this network.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

PC gaming is fine on Plusnet with low stable pings (around 20ms or less). I play BF2142 and BF2 at the moment and both run quickly with no lag.

A few Xbox users have posted that they are getting problems. Most problems are solved by telling Plusnet which game you are playing so they can set the network traffic for the game to the highest priority on their network. This means in my case low stable pings.
GersFans
Grafter

PC gaming is fine on Plusnet with low stable pings (around 20ms or less).

Thats simply not true for all Plusnet users, some have no problems and others are having a nightmare, so remember that when making your decision.
Zathras
Grafter

I think hes talking about that other Plusnet
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

What specifically are people having a nightmare with ?

It would be usefull to know what games and which systems.
GersFans
Grafter

Pings, latency & disconnections.

Personally i try to play americas army and online poker, both perform very poorly since Plusnet added the ellacoya and shaping.

[As the clan leader of an americas army clan I was playing 25+ hrs a week, tournaments, scrims, practise and social games, now I play around 20 hrs a month.

3 people in my house played online poker, 2 have stopped now and I am at the end of my patience..]

I even got put back on the old 2mb product because the experience with MAX was so bad,now the 2mb product is as bad as the MAX performance was for me.
N/A

Lag, lag and a bit more lag....and throw in a few disconnections from the server while your at it.

I was a front runner in my NetKarPro league, now im lucky if i can get a race without having to leave for the sake of the other racers..or loosing connection with the server completely.

This was understandable when pings were over 500 due to the ports being blocked. That problem was resolved and thing were ok again for a while.
For the last month or so its been terrible again, though pings are fine.
It's terrible during peak time, along with browsing.

I even got put back on the old 2mb product because the experience with MAX was so bad,now the 2mb product is as bad as the MAX performance was for me.

Interesting....i was going to give this a shot as a last resort myself....but if its made no difference i wont bother.
I'm going to be leaving anyway soon..theres no other option imo.
N/A

Plusnet, Reliable?

In the same sentenc?!?

Ha!

basically, thats all i gotta say!!!
GersFans
Grafter

Interesting....i was going to give this a shot as a last resort myself....but if its made no difference i wont bother.
I'm going to be leaving anyway soon..theres no other option imo.

I was having ridiculous trouble with the MAX upgrade to the point it was unusable, so i asked to be moved back to the 2mb connection. Plusnet to thier credit did so in a timely manner and did so without any problems.

But, since the ""electricity outage" in september & ellacoya implementation the connection is poor for gaming. I don't need any great speeds and would be happy on a 512 connection, what I want is a responsive and stable connection, and I get neither currently with this connection on Plusnet...

Once January comes I am moving also, both my hobbies are seriously affected by these problems at Plusnet so when I think about it I wouldn't put up with it in any other situation. So why should I with internet access.

6 months of bliss and 6+ of nightmares, its been a bumpy ride PN.... :lol:
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

I am on the old 2Mb product and it suits my needs for gaming so I have no intention of changing it. Various people on a variety of ISP's have suggested often LLU leads to worse gaming performance but then that is only the people who complain. Those it works for are unlikely to post.
Slick
Grafter

im a squad leader for clan uk-r who play 3 games,
mohaa
bf2
cod2
i run the cod1+2 squad and dont have anny issues now.
i used to but plusnet sorted it and im fine.
ping = 25
highest ping is us servers where i get 65 tops thats it so im happy
and yes im on max (llu)