cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings really suffering at peak times...

N/A

Anyone else really suffering at the moment at peak times?

Last night I managed to get on the computer for a gaming session for the first time in a fortnight or so since I've recently had a newborn. A couple of weeks ago everything was fine, pings usually around the 20ms mark when playing Project Reality (BF2 mod).

Last night, my average ping to any UK server was 150ms. This morning since I luckily had a day off work, I managed to get on the computer and check my pings - sure enough it was back to 20ms.

I've just come to the computer to check and now at 6pm, my pings are about 90-110ms. It looks like a contention ratio issue to me, which concerns me since I'm paying £21.99 for a max of 30:1 ratio which should avoid this. It doesn't seem to be port specific either.

Obviously this is killing my gameplay. 150ms pings on UK servers is unacceptable I'm afriad. I've spoken to Tech Support last night on the phone and the chap whilst helpful wasn't able to do anything and told me to raise a ticket which I have, but I've yet to hear anything back just yet.

So, back to my original question - is this just me?
13 REPLIES
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

It sounds like it may not be set up for high priority traffic. I would log a fault ticket and ask Plusnet to sort it out.
N/A

It's not just BF2 though, even a basic 'ping' command to www.plus.net last night resulted in a 3 figure ping time. Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Sorry to hear of the gaming problems you are having. As Battlefield 2 is built into our traffic management system this should not be the cause of the problem, however to make sure of this could you follow the steps on the page below and supply a wireshark capture. This will allow us to ensure the gaming traffic is correctly prioritised.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The fact normal ICMP packets show a RTT in high figures suggest it is exchange contention, during off peak and on peak please run some BT speed tests to verify this.

Note - you can verify if the game is matched correctly by using VMBU Internet Activities. If you play for a while to generate MBytes of traffic hopefully you'll see the VMBU Internet Activity usage figure for Gaming jump by MBytes. Remember that usage for an hour appears in VMBU in the hour after (if the system is not catching up due to any issues), so if you play for 20 minutes from 19:00 you'll not see the usage on VMBU till around 20:55, HTH
N/A

My pings on World of Warcraft are always in the 200 MS Sad
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Things to check are :-

(1) spyware / auto update programs
(2) Have you installed any new software / hardware
(3) Don't leave Anti Virus software on while playing BF2 it makes it run poorly with high pings
(4) Has it always been like this or just happened more recently ?

The last time I got this problem it was due to spyware and leaving my AV on. Having said that a ping should still work, try pinging www.bbc.co.uk

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.227.72] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.227.72: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=248
Reply from 212.58.227.72: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 212.58.227.72:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms
N/A

I've been having crap ping in Counterstrike Source for ages...it used to be great when I first signed up for plusnet but now its averaging 30-40ms. Compared to a friend who lives down the road who's also with plusnet, paying a cheaper tariff and getting 10-20ms ping.

My PC is the only one on the network and I'm not using wireless. Also download speeds are great, no complaints there its just my gaming experience is abyssmal.

I have done a wireshark and I can see that its set correctly for Traffic Queue Titanium.

Have also done spyware and malware removal...my ping to www.bbc.net.uk is as follows:

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.227.75] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.227.75: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=247
Reply from 212.58.227.75: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=247
Reply from 212.58.227.75: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=247
Reply from 212.58.227.75: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=247

Ping statistics for 212.58.227.75:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 63ms, Average = 41ms
iainmacmillan
Grafter

are you using a USB modem or router? Routers are better and do not rely on your motherboard to supply power -- usb modems are bad at drawing all available USB power, causing a number of problems.

there was link a while back which also used to check your exchange to see if there were any issues/overload, but i can't seem to find it right now.

if your mate on PN is having no issues, it would appear to possibly be a problem with your hardware, or your link to the exchange.
N/A

Hi Iain,

Its a router...a 3com one but I had the same kinda ping with a netgear one I borrowed too. I've checked the exchange checker site here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and it seems my exchange has been fine for a few months. I swear I was getting better ping when the exchange was showing a red status Tongue
N/A

Perhaps your friend has interleaving off and you have it on?

The difference in pings sounds about right for this to be the case.

Just a thought.
Couger
Grafter

im getting constant CHOKE on every counter strike server i go on
this is since ive been placed on level 1 management

Why ?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

this is since ive been placed on level 1 management

Are you running any other applications in the background i.e. P2P
Couger
Grafter

nope nothing

and before you blame pc lol

E6600 core duo cpu
Gigabyte GA-965P -DS3 motherboard
3 gig DDR2 memory
Ai X1950 XT graphics
Creative X-fi sound card
Tagan 530 watt psu

So pc is not the issue here and nothing has changed other than me being placed on level 1 management

To say the least im furious fair enough my p2p being capped peak times but now i cant play any game due to my connection being speed limited (throttled)

So you want my recommendation to encourage gamers remove gaming and place it in its own GOLD priority

Cheers Sven