cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS2 Problems

N/A

PS2 Problems

Teenage son discovered he could play PS2 games online (I knew this but had kept quiet), so he bought the network adapter and 25m of network cable and we followed the instructions for setting it up. It didn't seem as straightforward as was suggested (mainly due to PlusNet not being an ISP listed on the set up list and having to be done manually) but eventually we were sure things were set up right as we could 'see' the PS2 on the network. We tried a couple of games but DNAS authentication kept failed with a '-603 error' message. I spent nearly two hours on the phone to their helpline but still we couldn't get it working. They claimed that ports were being blocked by my router. I then called PlusNet who claimed they don't support gaming, but they did tell me that ports were not being blocked by my router at all <sigh>

The person I spoke to at PlusNet at least had the sense to look at my account after we had spoken though, and dropped me an email informing me that I needed to upgrade to a non-restrictive account since the one I had did not allow peer 2 peer.

Yesterday this was completed so it was back to trying the PS2 again. Still Medal Of Honour Rising Sun does not work, we get the same error message - 'Error -603' - has anyone else experienced this? We also don't seem to be able to connect to 'Central Station' though this doesn't really appear to be necessary.

The plus side is that he has managed to play FIFA 2005 and another game called 'Rainbow something', I also think that XIII worked okay too so it's just Medal Of Honour Rising Sun that doesn't want to work.

Do our experiences sound familiar to anyone?
21 REPLIES
N/A

PS2 Problems

Have you any chance seen the PlusNet Howto guide on this?

It is available HERE
N/A

PS2 Problems

Yes of course, that's the guide we followed, it says:

9. Once you have confirmed that your router is successfully connected to your ADSL service switch on your PlayStation 2 and insert the Network Access Disc.

10. Follow the on-screen setup instructions; refer to your Network Access Disc manual if you have any problems.

Very helpful! The 'on screen set up instructions' involve choosing your ISP and PlusNet is not listed so you have to choose OTHER and go through the process manually Sad

Anyway as I said, most games do now work, there is just the one that doesn't so far!

Moderators note by John (johnessex) quote removed as it was just a copy of the preceding post and not needed
N/A

PS2 Problems

It seems the ps2 is harder to connect to the net for some reason. Whats it like over the net anyway ie lag issues ?Huh
N/A

PS2 Problems

We are new to this so aren't sure what to expect, but son says FIFA 2005 seemed much slower that the Rainbow game - he seemed to have a lot of fun fighting other users on the servers with that one.

FIFA is EA Games and the Rainbow thing is UBISOFT so maybe that makes a difference? Come to think of it, isn't Medal Of Honour EA Games too?

Could this just be server issues whereby servers just get overloaded? How does one get onto the PlusNet servers mentioned on the PlusNet site anyway? Are they any better?

Then again, if you are talking about lag issues generally then yes, we seem to get our fair share of those here! I often find myself lagging on IRC for instance...
N/A

PS2 Problems

I think its due to ea and the ps2 lack of server surport sumert like that. I have an xbox with xbox live. I play fifa 2005 on that and yeah sum times you get lag but most of the times its usual great stuff. I never really borthed with ps2 online as i had xbox live.
N/A

PS2 Problems

I think its due to ea and the ps2 lack of server surport sumert like that.

I am beginning to think that too now! My daughter tried to play The Sims online yesterday evening and that wouldn't work either (same error message!) - it's another EA game.

I hope now that it was necessary to upgrade my account with PlusNet...
N/A

PS2 Problems

Yeah many people from the xbox forums complain about ea all the time. The other day i when i was on fifa if got that bad i could not even sign it just to speak to people. I think cause there not geting any extra money from xbox live uses so they dont bother giving the surpport its needs
N/A

PS2 Problems

Well i have home broadband premier 512k.

I have no problems with my PS2 and didn't have to upgrade my account so you might wanna look into that :S

Oh, actually I have one problem, I can't play games that are like 1vs1 like fifa because i use ICS (so i need a router) but games with servers are ok.

[edit] oops i have adsl home that i got a long time ago and so p2p must be supported on that [/edit]
N/A

PS2 Problems

[[edit] oops i have adsl home that i got a long time ago and so p2p must be supported on that [/edit]

Is this the £18.99 one? If so then I was spun a line because not only was I told I had to upgrade but also that I wouldn't be able to revert afterwards because it's no longer available! The £18.99 one does not apparently support peer 2 peer, but then I believe that not all games need peer 2 peer support anyway, or so I was told. I really do hope that you are wrong though and that PlusNet aren't squeezing an extra £3 out of me a month for nothing! Sad

Oddly enough nothing seemed to work before but most games work now. I've been in touch with EA support and they haven't been particularly helpful - they say that ports are being blocked by my ISP and that I should take it further with them, but PlusNet just say no ports are blocked and they don't support online gaming <sigh>
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

PS2 Problems

Online gaming requires open ports for any game to work.

So if using a router read its manual on Port forwarding/Virtual Server/Port rules, as if you have set the PS2 LAN IP to DMZ[that bypasses the routers protection] as recommended by most support that doesn't as it should open All ports on the cheaper router[my own included].

So you have to Open the ports on your routers setup, so the Port is opened to the PS2 LAN IP.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
jberry
Grafter

PS2 Problems

Hi there,

The reason we do not support it is simply because it is not possible for us to train our staff on how to set up PS2's, XBoxes and the like as well as all the other things that we have to support but they do work. Personally I have no experience of any sort of console online gaming so I can't any more help.

Regards,
N/A

PS2 Problems

PlusNet tell me that the router I have (Binatone 2100) doesn't have any ports open, or something to that effect.

That said, there is an option to open ports but you can only open one at a time, not a range of ports, so it would be a very tedious task to open lots of ports (if that is indeed what is needed).

Can someone at least reassure me that it was necessary to change my account, involving an additional monthly cost, I am not happy about the fact that it seems that another user has not had to do this Sad

Since these Binatone 2100 router things are presumably sent out to most customers then I am a little surprised that there aren't more people experiencing the sort of problems we continually seem to be having. I just don't understand why it doesn't just work!
N/A

PS2 Problems

[[edit] oops i have adsl home that i got a long time ago and so p2p must be supported on that [/edit]

Is this the £18.99 one? >

nope its the £22 one
I wasn't aware of this one O_O
N/A

PS2 Problems

<breathes huge sigh of relief>

Clearly you weren't on the same tariff I was on from the start, so it sounds like you were on the non-restrictive account from whenever you signed up. The tariff I was on was called 'ADSL Home' I think and was basic but not capped with regards bandwidth - it's no longer available now.

Since I now pay £21.99 then I must be on the one you were always on Smiley