cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Gaming Blocks when past monthly bandwidth limit

N/A

Does anyone else play any online games that seem to be blocked during peak time if you have passed your monthly bandwidth limit? I have noticed Final Fantasy XI Online is definitely blocked and it seems like World of Warcraft is as well. Guild Wars and Eve Online both work fine. I can fully understand the need to block p2p and ftp traffic but blocking major mmorpgs during peak hours seems like a mistake.

Could it please be checked why this is the case and looked into getting this corrected I would be grateful. I am aware that the update systems for games such as these can sometimes use p2p systems for updates and patching which is fine but login to the game should not be prevented.

Thank you for your time.

PS. Port Information for those games:

PlayOnline server group. (Final Fantasy XI Online)
TCP 25, 80, 110, 443 or 50000 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535
These ports are not narrowed down much but from what I have seen the main login uses port 54000 and during gaming around 53000-53100

World of Warcraft
TCP 3724
Other WoW ports are for the Blizzard downloader which is bittorrent based so I expect it to be blocked but here the details are anyway:
TCP 6112, 6881-6999
5 REPLIES
N/A

same problem with counter strike source
127kbps ain't funny
I will be looking for a mac code before long Evil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi

The speed problems of a few weeks ago have (should have) been sorted.
You should normally see good speeds for gaming - are you sure that you've not reached your monthly usage ceiling - go to "My Account" > "Services" and check your "Broadband Usage Statistics" - let us know what you find.

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Thanks for the reply Bill
Yes i did go over my usage ceiling for December, as for this month i have used more than my included usage for this month.
That said should that affect gaming any way i.e. because i have been throttled back on my download speeds should this affect my ping to the servers. Since my speeds have been throttled i can no longer play on a few severs as i get kicked by console for breaking the 100ms ping rule.

At present i am very frustrated with my self for not checking how much i downloaded over the Christmas break.
I would like to stay with metronet as they have been reliable for the last 3 years that i have been with them although i am still waiting for the speed upgrade that i was promised back in june of last year.
basically i am still looking for my mac code but would rather sort this out with metronet ( i am guessing that you work for metronet or plus net )

Any info letting me know why i should stay ping speeds and other technical info i.e. why metronet is better than say tiscalli would be much appreciated

thanks nigel

btw i have been in contact with customer support about this and also look forward to thier responce

cheers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

AFAIK simplistically, a ping gives the time for the connection between your PC and the computer at the other end, "latency", and is independent of your bandwidth connection speed.

For a MAXed connection see here and ask nicely here

If you are often hitting the usage ceiling it will be worth an upgrade to the next PAYGO option (unless you are already on Option 3) - it will come with an automatic MAX upgrade.

Cheers
Bill
N/A

This problem has been resolved for me a few weeks ago, but I only just reached the limit for my connection this month so that I could test it. Thankfully, I can now login and play games even during the 4-midnight time. I have not tried any games which require a good ping recently but might check some out and see what I get.