N/A

New video card

Hi all,

Need a new vid card..

I think i have a creative 4800ti geforce card at the min.. 128mb

Want to upgrade..

what would you recomend?

I have been looking at this 128MB MSI FX5700Ultra £146

would like to keep to around the £100 price range.. but will go up a little if its going to make much of a difference..

Thanks

Andy
8 REPLIES
N/A

New video card

I guess your geting one for better graphics on games then. Whats your current spec Huh
N/A

New video card

amd 2600xp,

512 meg of ram!

Disc space into the unkown! :lol:

4800ti

Yes for games.. new vid card sparked by HL2 looks great but keep seeing a jerk.. or screen rebuild.. dont know how to describe it.. its as if half the display is later late to update.. not an issue still very playable.. just thought the time has come to change!
Community Veteran

New video card

Have you tried updated graphics drivers or even the generic ones from Nvidia's website. Also have you installed the latest directx9c

What PSU have you got (In Watts). Some of the more recent graphics cards require extra power via an additional power connector (like you have for disk drives etc) and they may not work properly if your PSU can't cope with the extra load. Just something to consider in addition to a new video card.

Also what AGP speed does your mobo support - AGP 2X, 4X, 8X? if it's only 2X you may have problems running the latest graphcs cards as they need a min of 4X AGP and they won;t normally work in a 2X mobo.
N/A

New video card

Mother Board supports AGP 8x

4 hard drives, one DVD burner one DVD rom

350watt PSU i think may be 450watt? cant rememberHuh

Latest drivers for video card from nvidia.. prompted for this on install on HL2

Im going to upgrade the video card anyhow.. as i need to do the one on the 2nd computer.. but will transfer the one i have to this and replace mine..

If its power related.. i see no problems in other games. just this one..

prehaps i should do PSU as well
Community Veteran

New video card

What I meant was you may need to upgrade the PSU when you upgrade the graphcs card as the new one may need more power than your current PSU can handle. If you do have a 450W PSU it may be OK.
N/A

New video card

hey, i'm currently looking to upgrade graphics card too, if you want a good gfx card in the 100 range then i would look athe the nvidia geforce 6600GT agp. there is a review on Toms Hardware Guide if u are wanting to slashout a bit i did find a geforce 6800 (non-gt/ultra) 128 for £170 @ lowestontheweb.com

hope this helps

johnathan
N/A

New video card

The ati 9800 pro is a good graphics card its around 120 quid range. You will require a bigger psu though ie 450 watt plus.
N/A

New video card

or you could wait a few weeks and ger a 6600GT £140 i belive. should be a 9800 pro beater.