cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to on line gaming

N/A

New to on line gaming

Hi all,

I fancy having a go at on line gaming but don't really know which game to start with. To be honest my PC is fairly low spec, 1 Gig Athlon, 64Mb graphic card, ADSL 512 connection.

I also have a PS2, working stand alone at the moment. I like PC/PS2 games like Quake, Half Life, Doom, etc. I wanted to give America's Army a go, but my PC won't cope with it - I may upgrade soon.

Anybody got any recommendations of a game that I start with, preferably something I download for free.

Jeff
26 REPLIES
N/A

New to on line gaming

I use xbox live grt service but u aint got 1. Erh i think u might need 2 upgrade a bit 2 play some of the modern games. I need 2 and my pc is 1 year and a bit old
Firejack
Grafter

New to on line gaming

Online PC gaming is currently in something of a golden age. The new breed of MMOG's (Massive Multiplayer Online Games) is making consoles seem dated and frankly, kiddies toys. Unfortunately this cutting edge gaming comes at a cost in terms of hardware. You often need the latest system to run these types of games at a respectable speed.
For RPG's (Role Playing Games) or RTS (Real Time Strategy) you could probably get away with your systems specification as they don't require as powerful machines as the FPS (First Person Shooter) games.

You hardware I would say is two years out of date for online gaming. I was using a similar specification machine waaaayyyy back when I played Mechwarrior 4 online (my first adventure into online gaming Wink )

If you are definately considering getting into online gaming then you do need to think about hardware upgrades first. Good news is the market is relatively cheap right now. So you could pick up an amazing system capable of playing any games for £500 (if you use your existing monitor).

I'm playing PlanetSide right now and have been for the last year. Its pretty much the most demanding game available right now and it uses my system to the full. I have an Athlon XP 2500+, Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB and 1.5GB's of DDR3200 memory.

In terms of online games that are free. I believe Tribes 1 & 2 just got released as freeware. Never played them myself but they were very popular in their day. Some of the people in my gaming community played them so we are trying to line up a community night for everyone to see what some of us missed out and whether we want to consider moving into Tribes 3 Smiley
N/A

New to on line gaming

Your rig sounds almost exactly the same as my old one. I only had 64mb gfx and I used to play Counter Strike religiously.
CS 1.6 is now availabe on the Steam client (do a google search to find the site coz i cant remember the address) and best of all it is FREE (but you need Half-Life installed)
Even if the game runs a bit choppy there are literally thousand of tweaks available for low FPS systems.
I love Counter Strike but i should warn you the players online are very very good so expect to die many times while you practice.

Hope I have converted you to the ways of CS, happy fragging!
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

New to on line gaming

I played Medal Of Honor on an AMD600 with a 32meg graphic card.

I did have to turn most of the graphics down but the game played OK. Only occasionally on bigger servers did I have problems with FPS (frames per second).

I'm currently on an Athlon XP 2200 with a 9500 Pro and 512k of memory.
Americas Army runs fine on it and now the European servers are out my pings are better. It's the game I play most at the moment, but you have to persevere with the (boring) training and getting killed a lot at the start once you start playing on-line.

It is around 650 meg to download though.
N/A

New to on line gaming

I have an amd xp 2100 processor. 60 gig hard drive 512ddr and 128sdr graphics card so a poor graphics card. I luking 4 a mmorpg 2 play. Any free 1s
Firejack
Grafter

New to on line gaming

No MMOG is free. The cost of running the servers is incredible. Planetside has around 3,000 players logged into any one sever. The game uses roughly 6KB/sec bandwidth per player so that is 18Mbits/sec needed for each server! I bet that costs serveral thousands to rent each month Wink
N/A

New to on line gaming

Thanks for the replies & suggestions of games to try.

I have already got a copy of America's Army, I've heard it's a bit of a slog going through the training, but I'm told it's worth it. I like games to be quite realistic with regards to weapons etc, I prefer a bit of strategy to all out fire power.

I know my setup is old hat as far as the newer games are concerned, but I don't want to spend money on a new mobo,processor + video card just yet. I was hoping for some recommendations where the gameplay is good even though the graphics might be low spec.

Tribes looks worth a look.

Anybody tried networking their PS2? What would I need?
N/A

New to on line gaming

I networked my PS2. If you have a router it's simple: you just need to buy the Broadband Adaptor and then connect and ethernet cable from the adaptor into your router. Enter a few details and you're done.

If you're using a USB or PCI modem it might be slightly trickier. I suppose you would use Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) so that the modem goes into the PC, and then the PC goes into the Broadband Adaptor (via a NIC and ethernet cable).

I occasionally play Need for Speed on there, which is pretty good. I haven't tried any other games yet though.
N/A

New to on line gaming

I play America’s Army, a couple of our clan members have similar spec machines to yours Jeff and are able to play without any problems. I know one had a problem getting the game to run until he updated his graphic card drivers and loaded the latest version of direct x. Have u tried to run AA or did u look at the recommended specs?

BTW America’s Army is worth the slog Cheesy
N/A

New to on line gaming

Steve,

I tried loading it, I get an error on launching suggesting that my video card - an old s3 virge can't cope with it. Maybe time to upgrade my video card.

I've loaded Tribes, looks pretty good, I'll go through the training, then see if I can last more than 10 seconds in a game somewhere.

Jeff
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

New to on line gaming

Mole - what maps do you play on AAO mate??

And does your clan have their own server?Huh
N/A

New to on line gaming

Dave, I like the large open maps like Mountain Pass SE, River Basin, FLS Assault, etc. We are a recently formed clan have not yet got our own server. We are currently discussing the pros and cons of which type of server to rent. Ie. official leased server, gives honour - unofficial server, about half the price of official.

Jeff, I think the S3 virge card may be a 64-bit card that only went up to about 8MB (I could be wrong I’m not really a graphics card expert), in which case it won’t run AA. As u said u could just get a reasonable card for now, pop it in your existing machine then, when/if u get a better spec PC fit it into that.

You’re both welcome to visit our forum and say hi. http://localdefvolclan.proboards22.com

HOOAH! Wink
N/A

New to on line gaming

Have you tried looking at http://www.stratics.com/
They have information on a host of on-line games and also forums which you can read and try and get a feel for the game before buying.

Click on the "Stratics Network" to see a list of games.
N/A

New to on line gaming

Hi all,

I've been giving Tribes a bash, pretty good although it's a bit hectic in there!

I've decided to upgrade my video card, hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow & I'll be giving America's Army a trial at the weekend.

Thanks for the recommedations, maybe see you in a game somewhere, I'll be the easy to spot, I spend most of the time lost & confused (bit like life really)

Jeff