cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to PC Gaming

N/A

New to PC Gaming

I have just built myself a new system for gaming and video editing and I am looking for advice. I have always played the xbox for gaming.

My first observation is the PC's focus on the keyboard as a controller. I can't and never will use a keyboard for gaming and have just spent ages downloading the doom 3 demo and the only choice I get is for a keyboard setup. :roll:

I would like to buy some good games so would appreciate your advice for the best ones to go for. More importantly, the games must be playable with a controller. The two controllers I have are logitech dual controller and windows xbox 360 controller usb.

Any advice appreciated Wink
32 REPLIES
N/A

New to PC Gaming

PC gaming revolves generally about using the mouse and A<S<D<W keys for which I wear out a set every 3 months.

If your looking for console using games then really look at the ported games from the PS2, XBox etc.
N/A

New to PC Gaming

I'm used to playing console games but when it comes to stuff like playing HalfLife 2 etc, nothing beats keys and mouse really!
N/A

New to PC Gaming

So if I was to get Wow or HL2 on pc the only way I could play them is via a keyboard?
vic_newey
Grafter

New to PC Gaming

got to be keyboard & mouse , many players like a joystick for flying but huge majority use the keyboard , especially for First Person Shooters
If you insist on no keyboard / mouse you will rob yourself of most of the best games past & present,
I have an 8 button mouse which together with keyboard gives more options than a stick but I never need move my hand along the keyboard as I can reach a dozen keys in one spot which in my case is the arrow keys end as I am left handed.

Games like Farcry are not to be missed as are the battlefield series if you like FPS

War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
N/A

New to PC Gaming

Blimey, a major oversight by me if PC games don't support controllers. Honest I have no intention usng a mouse and keyboard for gaming. :?

I have a 360 usb Pc and logitech Dual controllers if i can't configure the games to play with these I may as well stick with the xbox. I have fifa06 and pes5 and play via controllers with them. What about PC doom and quake will they work with these controllers.

thanks for any help. Wink
N/A

New to PC Gaming

I dont want to sound harsh vocation but the reason games like WoW and Neverwinter Nights other such great games are ONLY on the PC are because of the keyboard.

Consoles are well known to flop with games requiring a keyboard, because the majority of owners wont buy a keyboard to play a game on their console. Whereas a PC automatically comes with a keyboard and the opposite happens with joypads.

I have been gaming mainly on PC for about 10 years and without a doubt the keyboard and mouse offer so many possibilities for so many games its hard to actually see why anyone would not use a KB and Mouse. Of course their are exceptions such as beat em' ups and racing games but I think if you prefer these games get an Xbox 360 not a PC lol

Now if you want to play games designed for joypad usage get an Xbox 360, if you want to play games on the PC the way they have been designed to be played then stick with the keyboard and the mouse for a while. You will get the hang of it, its like riding a bicycle.

WoW and online FPS games for the PC have so many commands and different functions its almost impossible to have a joypad there to do them all. Looking back about 6 years, Unreal Tournament was one of my favorites. Even back then it required so many keyboard shortcuts to even stay alive.

For example the 1-0 keys are well known to switch weapons, its possible to scroll with a mouse and maybe a joypad but when your in an FPS you need things instantly and a control pad just cannot offer the keys for these types of games.

Trust me just try out the keyboard and mouse, once you get use to it you will never look back. The PC offers such in depth games due to the peripherals used, but without them it would just be a console and wouldnt offer people such deeply intensive and addictive gameplay!

I hope my rambling made sense, and sorry if some of my views are a bit Pro Pc, I just hate being laughed at when I try to use a joypad :lol:

I also cannot believe you are saying you will never used a KB and Mouse, I mean thats like saying as a child you wont eat vegetables. You know its good for you but your letting your stubborness rule the whole point of your existence Wink

Also Doom and Quake without a Keyboard and Mouse? What are you? Crazy lol

Just go find some footage of the Quake Lan Fests, some have over a 1000 people playing at once. If you spot anyone using a sidewinder controller or similar I'll give you £5 Tongue
N/A

f

hi i to came from the ps2/xbox side of things and i admit at first its very hard to use the key board however time and patience work wonders [i now cant handle my sons ps2 as the game pad seems cumbersome compared to the keyboard and mouse]the only need for a joystick on a pc is for flight syms [and even then only for the rudder controls as the key board works ok i'd say give it a week or 2 and see how u feel about it [i can even type mesages on messenger and still be playing on line at cod 2[sniper scope 4 finger combination while walking is a trick that takes some work but the satisfaction of a clean kill take s all the painful fingers away :lol:
N/A

New to PC Gaming

Surely, it wouldn't be to difficult for game companies to have the controller option.

I admire you guys being able to use a keyboard/mouse combination but it isn't for me. Keyboards are for typing and pretending your working when your boss walks past you in the office.

Please could someone direct me to a website detailing what games are playable with a controller. Footy games are so there must be others.

Thanks very much
adil33
Dabbler

New to PC Gaming

Talking Adout FPS if someone has a joypad and someone else has a mouse/keyboard playing the same game, I know who would win......
Community Veteran

New to PC Gaming

Please could someone direct me to a website detailing what games are playable with a controller.

Well I could spend a whole bunch of time searching games for you, but out of my findings I would probably only come up with a handful that you were actually interested in.
Therefore it would make more sense for you to search for games that you would like to play, and then investigate if they are playable with a pad!
phatty
Grafter

New to PC Gaming

I too refuse to use the keyboard, although having just bought Battlefield 2 I think that statement is about to become void Wink

The best thing to do is get a program called JoyToKey, it allows you to map the letters of the keyboard to your controller. So when setting up the controls in the game you just press the buttons on the jopypad and the corresponding letter appears.

The program is freeware but can be a little difficult to find so if you want just pm me and I'll email it to you and I can also help you set it up.

I use it with a PS2 DualShock and an XboX controller, and have had no problems at all.

Talking Adout FPS if someone has a joypad and someone else has a mouse/keyboard playing the same game, I know who would win......

Sorry mate but that is nonsense, I rock on Medal of Honor Spearhead :twisted:

Regards,

Wayne
N/A

New to PC Gaming

Wayneb, I have pm'd you. Will I be able to use the software on doom 3.

Anyone can you tell me if quake 4 is playable with a controller.

Also do PC games have some kind of symbol on the box to show they can be used with a controller.

Thanks
phatty
Grafter

New to PC Gaming

Quake 4 and Doom 3 works with JoyToKey, I have them both installed.

JoyToKey will allow you to use a controller on ANY PC game.

Also now that the XBOX 360 controllers are proper USB, firms like EA etc are apparently going to include support for it.

If you have an XBOX 360 controller there is a driver available from Microsoft which allows it to be used on a PC.

Have fun fraggin Smiley
N/A

New to PC Gaming

I would use a controller for more arcadey style games. GTA with a mouse? Pro Evo with keys? No chance! I believe you can use controllers with games, or they wouldn't release controller hardware for the PC. Having said that, nothing beats keys and mouse for FPS games ... WASD becomes second nature VERY quickly, and I was a proper Halo 2 addict. Its just like for like really, left hand controls the direction of movement, right hand the aim ... doesn't matter whether its sticks or keys. The one bonus is having crouch, prone, quick weapon cuts, map functions bla bla bla, all there for you to use too. The response time is so much better and accurate. Although Oblivion will be a slower paced game so I'd be quite happy with a controller for that.

I saw a great concept keyboard once, each key was made up from OLEDS (Or something) and when you were playing a game, all the letters would disappear and be replaced with the corresponding game action for that game. GREAT idea for people like me who forget stuff like map zoom functions etc... Must dig up that picture again.