cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking with the xbox 360

N/A

Hi Everyone

I'm having a little trouble getting my xbox and pc talking to each other. I have a netgear dg834g wireless router and both the pc and xbox are using a wired connection to the router (i.e. via ethernet cables). The internet connection works fine for both the pc and xbox. However I'm trying to share my pc stuff on the xbox and have followed the instructions from microsoft on the xbox site but to no avail. I have installed the windows media connect software to enable the link between pc and xbox and I get an error stating that it couldnt find the console. I'm sure this is probably a settings issue on etiher the pc or the xbox but all the information looks fine. When I do a test on the network settings on the xbox, the computer test always fails. On the recommendations, the xbox states that sharing needs to be enabled but I'm not sure how you do this. Please can anyone explain to me as to what I need to do to get this setup. Cheers.
10 REPLIES
N/A

I dont know how to do this specifically but I do know how to enable sharing.

Go to your control panel >> network connections

Then on the left side panel you should see "Set up home or small office network" - hit the text and follow the wizard that pops up, enable file sharing and hopefully it will ask you to reboot.

Once you have rebooted maybe it will work?

Goodluck!
N/A

In the bottom right hand courner media connect symbol should be there. You need to enable the 360 for sharing in that. Once enaled re start the 360 and the pc. Hopefully it will work
N/A

I've tried setting up a network connection which is configured fine but this doesnt work when communicating from the pc and the xbox, isn't this only for computer to computer networking? I have a firewall and antivirus, I have turned them both off but again to no avail. Also extreme when you say the bottom right hand corner, do you mean on the xbox360 console, not sure where abouts you mean, can you please tell me where abouts that symbol is on the xbox, i.e. media, system etc

Cheers
N/A

I've just managed to set this up on my computer.

You have to download a piece of software first called Windows media connect. You can get it off the microsoft windows update site if you haven't got it already. when its installed a little icon will appear on the taskbar on ya PC.

Load it up and then you have to tell it what device to connect to.

Search for devices and it should find your xbox360

Then it should connect.

Then you can specify which folders you want your xbox 360 access to. Music, photos etc..

Hope this helps
N/A

Thanks for the information Matt, I understand how to set this up but Windows Media Connect doesnt find the xbox360 for some reason. Therefore I cant connect to the device and share my music, pictures etc
N/A

I had best success when on the PC setting windows media connect to allow all devices,,,, then from the xbox go into media blade and try to connect to a pc for music (going through the menu ~ after the old prompt to go to www.xbox.com/pcsetup ....)... also what antivirus are you running? norton usually has a habit of messing things up to start with...

then goto you pc, and see if it then has an entry for the xbox, and make sure you have some folders shared and you should be in...

also worth checking the ports are opened properly ~ e.g. in windows firewall, often worth doing a 'reset firewall' to see if something is closed off....

to be honest I usually find the M$ troubleshooters spot on for getting things working....

STuart
N/A

I had best success when on the PC setting windows media connect to allow all devices,,,, then from the xbox go into media blade and try to connect to a pc for music (going through the menu ~ after the old prompt to go to www.xbox.com/pcsetup ....)... also what antivirus are you running? norton usually has a habit of messing things up to start with...

then goto you pc, and see if it then has an entry for the xbox, and make sure you have some folders shared and you should be in...

also worth checking the ports are opened properly ~ e.g. in windows firewall, often worth doing a 'reset firewall' to see if something is closed off....

to be honest I usually find the M$ troubleshooters spot on for getting things working....

STuart
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

I've tried this and it doesn't work. It only works the first time that I install Media Connect on the PC while the Xbox is on, and is lost when ever I turn one of the devices off.

Can anyone see a way around this at all? Cry
N/A

Suggest checking on the pc that media connect is running when the pc is on, I know with mine that it can be sometime after starting up the the folder sharing is active type message appears (not sure if it scans the pc for new files on startup)..
N/A

I have the same router and the same problem.
Drop media centre and the endless downloads needed to get this working.
Download something called TV Versity which is free. It works without any frigging. It's a command line app mostly which is annoying but it works.

XP, media centre etc is a pain.

Tony