cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on gigabytes

N/A

Need help on gigabytes

Can anyone tell me if xbox live uses up gigabytes. Trying to decide should I upgade or stay with what I have, which is unlimited. Totally confused by all this megabytes and gigabytes. Would be grateful for any help :?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Need help on gigabytes

If you mean connecting your XBOX to the internet, then yes when you play online, it will contribute to your ADSL usage figures. However it is unlikely to use GigaBytes (GB) of usage but may use megabytes over a period of time. It really depends on the game, how many are playing and how it uses the internet connection.

1 byte = 1 character
1024 bytes = 1Kilobyte (1KB)
1,000 KB = 1 Megabyte (1MB) - sometimes people use 1024KB = 1MB
1,000 MB = 1 Gigabyte (GB) - this is what Plusnet use, 1024MB = 1GB is another used figure

So to use up 1 GB of bandwidth usage your XBOX would have to transmit/receive a hugh amount of data, which it does not.

As you are on an unlimited account now, use the view my usage page (connection settings -> view my usage) and see how much you actually use each month and then decide if you can save money going onto an 'inclusive bandwidth' package.

Also are you on one of the old ADSL home / ADSL home Surf / Easystart products or on the new broadband home product. If one of the old ones, there is a fee to pay to change to a limited bandwidth product. If you are already on broadband home it is free to switch between premier and a capped product.
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

Midtown Madness 3 uses about 60mb per hour if i remember rightly....Yes, that is sad.
Community Veteran

Need help on gigabytes

Hmm.. that is a lot, and that game would certainly be classed as a heavy internet user and use Gigabytes of bandwidth if played for many hours over several days - i.e. potentially 1GB for every 18 hours played
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Need help on gigabytes

Most online games use 7 to 15 kBytes/second downstream but the bandwidth is monitored both ways. I never bothered logging the upstream useage so would assume roughly 5kbytes upstream so total would be around 12-20kByes/second. It's a sunday and mental arithmetic is fuzzy so number crunch that in Excel and you'll have an average guide, but that doesnt account for map downloads and in game patches which would peek faster from 1-10 mins at a time so only a rough guide.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

Thats why its not worth having caps on ur adsl products if your a gamer
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

Midtown Madness 3 uses about 60mb per hour if i remember rightly....Yes, that is sad.

:shock: that seems a massive amount for an on-line game. I play a lot of on-line games, both on my PC and PS2, and I've never come close to that figure.

Most PS2 games can be played over dial up, even though it's meant for BB.

I take it Midtown madness, is an Xbox game?

Aaron
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

I take it Midtown madness, is an Xbox game?

Yep, that was on the xbox with 8 people in a game, all with mic's.....and i might have been hosting :? Can't remember now...

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Quote fixed for you]
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

60MB per hour, or 17 to 18KB/s sounds correct.

xBox is a bandwidth hog, but that game is relativly tame on bandwidth.

17 - 18KB/s is also good considering they had the voice egar in use too.
N/A

Need help on gigabytes

petervaughn - dont forget 8 bits = 1 byte

(512 Mb/s (Megabit) BB = roughly 60KB/s(kiloByte)

also they all equal 1024 (1MB=1024 KB etc.) its just that it is rounded to 1000. thats why on file information it has size and size on disk, the later being its actual size. on small files this make little to no difference, but on BIG files its can be several 100 MB