cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag on Xbox live.....

N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Ever since I've switched to Plusnet(from AOL) I've been experiencing lag on Xbox live. It's not major lag, but when I'm playing a fast paced game, DOA Ultimate for instance, it's a big problem. I also bought a new router when I switched to plusnet, but I don't think it's that because I'm pretty sure I've configured it correctly, port forwarding etc. It's a netgear DG834GT. Is there any way to resolve this problem? I want lag free gaming damn it! Sad

Also, is location a factor here? The lag seems to be worse when I'm playing someone from America, and it's terrible when I'm playing someone in Japan, but it lessens a bit when I'm playing a fellow Brit. My connection used to be perfect on my 512K AOL connection, no matter the location. Is it because Plusnet is a UK based ISP whereas AOL is worldwide? I really want to stay with plusnet, but if I can't get this issue resolved I'm afraid I'm going to have to go crawling back to AOL with my tail between my legs. If anyone can help me out I'll be extremely grateful. Cheesy
7 REPLIES
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Of course distance is a factor. The US and Japan are bound to be laggy.

Are you playing on the same hosts on Xbox live as you were when you had AOL? If so is there any discernable difference in response times?

Do a quick trace route to bbc.co.uk from the command prompt and respond with your results; that should determine if plusnet are at fault.
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

I'm not sure what you mean by hosts....

Here's the traceroute results....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Adam>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.125]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 63 ms 192.168.0.1
2 17 ms 16 ms 15 ms lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.72]
3 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw1.plus.net [84.92.4.89]
4 13 ms 14 ms 15 ms ge0-0-0-22.ptn-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.2]
5 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.25]
6 65 ms 22 ms 13 ms 212.58.238.149
7 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms www25.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.125]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Adam>
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Your pings are excellent, which should rule out Plusnet as being the culprit.

You're always going to lag when you play against Americans and they host the games. Try and only play with Europeans.
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Americans also always try to own you. I keep telling them that I don't understand them and that being a human, I am not for sale and I thought that slavery was outlawed in the US ... then they just shout w00t at me so I get scared and disconnect.
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Thing is, Dead or Alive Ultimate is pretty much the only game I play on xbox live at the moment, and europeans are thin on the ground. I don't understand why i never got lag with AOL but I do with plusnet. And with 4x the speed too.....
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Actually, I just noticed that it takes 63ms for the packet to leave your PC and get to your router, which seems a little bit suspect.

I'm far from an expert on such things so I would suggest visiting the ADSL hardware board at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter
N/A

Lag on Xbox live.....

Pings are and have been crapon xbox live with plusnet for ages, I have decent pings during the day but come 6pm and it all goes tits up, so thats why i am leaving thursday my new connection starts and i can once again start to play.

Oh and it was not always like this i migrated to plusnet because of the decent pings they had on xbox live but the last few months it has gone downhill at warp speed...................